Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 10% ethanol to be standard fuel next year DO NOT USE IT  (Read 3495 times)

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: FZ1N, XJR1300
10% ethanol to be standard fuel next year DO NOT USE IT
« on: August 23, 2020, 08:20:32 PM »
Hi everyone
I am sure lots of you will know but for those who dont just thought I would add this post. From next year all fuel will have 10% ethanol in which is really bad for your bikes when left sitting for any length of time. It is destroying fuel tanks and fuel systems in the US . Ethanol pulls water out of the air and is rusting tanks , clogging injectors and messing up carbs. I will not go into it just look it up. When it comes in next year from what I hear is the premium fuel will become the normal fuel and the normal fuel will be the 10% ethanol. I use fuel stabilise in my bikes over winter anyway. They say as many as 700.000 vehicles will not work on it. Its splitting plastic fuel tanks and rusting tanks. Keep your fuel tanks full over winter and use fuel stabilise if you can. I have already put it in two of my bikes just in case I dont get them out again this year. Look it up. The ethanol has been rusting tanks for the last few years at only 5% when its 10% next year its going to be really bad if you are not on top of it. I have been stripping i29s for the last 15 years and in the last 2 years have really started to see tanks rusting because of it.
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Offline Britigerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800ABS
Re: 10% ethanol to be standard fuel next year DO NOT USE IT
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 09:13:57 PM »
No problems regarding 10% ethanol gas from my 7yr old Tiger in the USA.......................

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 09:58:13 PM »
The problems of ethanol at 5% is already an issue and has been for a long time. A good friend of mine with a stable of Triumph's,  including hill racing a heavily modified T140 Bonneville (affectionately referred to as 'the dinosaur that bites'), quite a few years ago took the plastic tank off one of his bikes for the first time to do some engine work and once removed it expanded so much he couldn't get it to refit and he is a motorcycle wizard. Fortunately he managed to obtain a good secondhand one in the end.

I already use Castrol Valve master lead replacement additive in my 79 Bonnie to deal with running the current unleaded/ethanol petrol. :151:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 10:29:50 PM »
Its not good I have been using fuel stabilise in my bikes for the last 2 years. I am seeing more and more rusting fuel tanks on well looked after bikes. All down to the fuel. My local bike shop even use aviation fuel in there old bikes over winter. I have the new xjr 1300 with the plastics fuel tank  :138: that worries me. Yamaha say its good up to 10% ethanol, but they would.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 10:35:19 PM »
NSW have had 10% ethanol in regular fuel for years and I dont recall any major issues there. Yes there are some issues to be aware of qbut imo the OP is making a mountain out of the proverbial mole hill.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 06:18:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
NSW have had 10% ethanol in regular fuel for years and I dont recall any major issues there. Yes there are some issues to be aware of qbut imo the OP is making a mountain out of the proverbial mole hill.
+1
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 07:13:32 AM »
The plastic tanks on my Sprints expanded, difficult to refit, best empty them & they shrink back a little, helps re-fitting.

I've been using e10 for quite a when on tour in France. We've had the e5 for some time, I read that non-ethanol fuel can contain 3-4% ethanol.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-ethanol-idUSKBN1D70HT#:~:text=PARIS%20%28Reuters%29%20-%20Gasoline%20containing%20up%20to%2010,to%20drivers%2C%20French%20ethanol%20producers%20said%20on%20Tuesday.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 08:58:54 AM »
if using your bike every day or most days you should not really have any problems. But like a lot of bikers that have more than one bike or do not ride a lot due to work or busy life styles and sometimes bike are parked up for a few months that's when the problems start...... READ THIS   as was mentioned earlier, ethanol is also a potent solvent. As a result, there is a significant risk of serious damage to aluminium, zinc, copper, brass, magnesium alloys, galvanized metals, seals, hoses, cork, fiberglass, rubber, polyurethane and epoxy resin – all of which can be found in the fuel systems of many classic bikes.

Exact numbers are difficult to come by, but the Department for Transport estimates that these side effects of E10 may affect as many as 8.6 million vehicles in the UK – of which as many as 750,000 are bikes.

Biker forums are awash with accounts of classic bike owners who fuelled up and were horrified to discover rapid and heavy damage to their fuel tanks and fuel systems. Fiberglass fuel tanks developing a network of pinhole leaks is a common problem and there are also an astonishing number of accounts of rubber seals around the necks of fuel tanks being broken down within just six months.

Similarly, accounts of cracked or corroded pipes throughout fuel systems are commonplace. This also leads to problems when anything that melts, corrodes or degrades anywhere along the way gets drawn into the engine.

It gets worse. Ethanol also has a high oxygen content, leading to faster rusting whenever it comes into contact with iron. This is compounded further by the fact that ethanol also absorbs water from the air too, leading to an octane-poor layer of fuel at the top of the tank and a less-than-ideal ethanol/water layer loitering at the bottom that can cause engine damage, poor running and difficult starts. On top of all this, some ethanol-blended fuels only have a shelf life of three months or less.

Nearly all petrol vehicles currently on the road can happily use E5 and between 83 per cent and 92 per cent can use E10 – your manufacturer will be able to tell you whether your vehicle is compatible or not. If you are not sure, you will still be able to buy E5 for many years yet – although it may be the Super Grade option rather than the cheaper version. Also, these standards aren’t constant across all countries, so you’ll want to keep your eyes open when filling up abroad.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 09:06:18 AM by ENGLISHBANDIT »

Offline Britigerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800ABS
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 02:33:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
+1
+2

Offline Khantahr

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 05:48:44 PM »
Honestly, you're blowing this out of proportion a bit.  We've had E10 for YEARS in the US, and most bikes are just fine with it.  You'll always find cases of problems if you look for it, but by and large, it's  non-issue.  Just put some stabilizer that's formulated for ethanol gas in it if it's going to sit for a few months.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 05:50:20 PM by Khantahr »

Recent Topics