Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New size front tyre P5 Trail taking some getting used to!  (Read 722 times)

Offline EddieCalimocho

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
New size front tyre P5 Trail taking some getting used to!
« on: August 24, 2020, 08:39:08 PM »
Just wondering how people found the transition from Metz Tourance Next to P5s... More specifically the new size of tyre on front.
I've only just tried them out today (quick 70 mile run) after getting them fitted last week and handling seems a bit more wobbly, though hoping they'll come good once properly scrubbed in.
Tyre pressures 36/42 and riding XRT800 2017.

Be interested to hear other people's thoughts who also made the transition

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: New size front tyre P5 Trail taking some getting used to!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 09:44:37 PM »
It's just a matter of getting used to applying less input
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 08:22:16 AM »
I changed size when I went to Metz Roadtech - they feel a lot better in almost all circumstances but I did notice the bike felt a little too light at the front end when I ventured above 90Mph - not something I do very often and to be honest I won't be repeating the experiment.
That was at standard pressures - solo with a top box that is always on anyway and was not loaded. - The original tyres were fine at that speed though.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shergar [+]
That was at standard pressures - solo with a top box that is always on anyway and was not loaded. - The original tyres were fine at that speed though.

Moved straight from OEM to 110/80 front on first renewal and never sensed any weirdness. Had PR4s and now R5s and standard pressures and topbox and both sets of Michelin have easily seen *18mph'ish :164: for a spurt (on deserted dual carriageway) to see what the bikes stability was like with no sense of any handling issue at all. Only stopped there as it was a one off experiment and still accelerating but no need to go higher. I wouldn't normally go above around 80mph indicated even cruising on a quiet motorway nowadays due to the ever increasing amount of hidden speed cameras, but the bike would safely (from a stability point) go quicker than my maximum I'm sure.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline EddieCalimocho

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 08:39:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shergar [+]
I changed size when I went to Metz Roadtech - they feel a lot better in almost all circumstances but I did notice the bike felt a little too light at the front end when I ventured above 90Mph - not something I do very often and to be honest I won't be repeating the experiment.

Yeah anything above 90mph the front felt light, and didn't have that before which is a bit disconcerting.

Only ridden them back from fitting and then the 75mile quick run yesterday. So fingers crossed they'll come good in a few 100 miles.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch