Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 6th gear noisy  (Read 467 times)

Offline bigal

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
6th gear noisy
« on: August 31, 2020, 11:02:48 AM »
My 27k Tiger has developed a whine in 6th gear at lower revs, the whine is not noticeable above 6000, any ideas guys.

Offline Garyhereto

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger800xc
Re: 6th gear noisy
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 10:35:01 AM »
Hi, funny that you mention this I am also experiencing a whine in 6th gear on my newly bought second hand 800xc 2014. It became very noticeable on the second 1000km trip I have just done. Have you done any further investigation on your side? Only 24000km on the clock.

Online UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 06:10:45 PM »
Try noting the lowest speed that you can go where the whine is audible in 6th gear. Then downshift to 5th and see if the whine changes a lot when you hit the same speed. If the whine stays about the same it most probably is the front sprocket and/or the chain. If the whine goes away completely then it would seem to be the transmission. I have no clue about that.

The original Tiger front sprocket has two slabs of rubber bonded to it to reduce ringing effects. Often a replacement sprocket is just plain forged steel and it can ring at various chain speeds.

Good luck.

Offline bigal

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 08:40:22 AM »
Thanks Guys, I have tried various points at which I change up into 6th and in all cases if the whine is present I chnage down and the noise goes away. I will monitor it after a complete oil/filter change and reassess.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch