Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 900 - Rider Modes  (Read 495 times)

Offline B0M0A0K

• Tiger Member
Tiger 900 - Rider Modes
« on: September 03, 2020, 05:43:29 PM »
Seriously looking at getting a Tiger 900. I see that Triumph just dropped the basic 900 from their range and I wonder why that was?

I was comparing the remaining GT, GT Pro and Rally range and wondered about future upgradability. Although I can choose many different options to add to the (now) lower spec 900 GT, I see no mention of rider modes. Is there any capability to upgrade rider modes at a later date if I choose the 900 GT rather than the 900 GT Pro (or rally derivatives) or is that it once you've made your choice? 

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Tiger 900 - Rider Modes
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 06:31:39 PM »
Have they dropped it? It's still on their website. That's not to say I haven't missed an announcement somewhere.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline B0M0A0K

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 06:59:22 PM »
Apparently it was news in one of the bike magazines last week. August 5 Motorcyclenews.com featured an email from someone claiming that Triumph are dropping the basic 900 from the range. I don't know where he got his information from. Check out this video at timestamp 14.29

As I say, I can't validate the comment as of yet. I was curious because I had read that some folks were getting the basic model (which has all the basic goodness that makes this a great bike) and then add the extras you want over time. Thus my original question about adding rider modes. The other bike I am considering as a contender is the BMW F850 GS and I seem to recall that you can update rider modes by adding what appears to be a dongle of some kind.

Of course this could all just be hyperbole.

One of my hesitations with the Tiger 900 is the god awful colour choices, the basic 900 is even worse. White - that's it. But Triumph Edinburgh offer a service where they can change the colour. so that's something to consider.

But I guess this has now gone off topic and I'm sort of expecting a wrist slap.   
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 07:01:25 PM by B0M0A0K »

Online Jarse

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Rally Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 08:26:57 PM »
Rider modes are not interchangeable between models Im afraid. Id not heard that the base model had been dropped. Very strange given the models have only been out a short while not even considering the time lost over lockdown.

Offline B0M0A0K

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 08:35:10 PM »
Jarse, I'd rather it was still available to be honest as it gives me more options. I couldn't help but notice your location, was your a Shirlaws purchase?

Online Jarse

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 09:49:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by B0M0A0K [+]
Jarse, I'd rather it was still available to be honest as it gives me more options. I couldn't help but notice your location, was your a Shirlaws purchase?

Yes, Im a regular and good customer. I have a good relationship with the folks there. Happy to meet you and go in sometime if you want.

Offline B0M0A0K

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 10:26:04 PM »
Thanks, that's kind of you. Given that we only really have two choices, Edinburgh Triumph and Shirlaws I am leaning towards the latter. I like the idea of supporting a family business that's been going through the generations since the 1930's.

Are they good people to deal with do you think?

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 10:36:53 PM »
Still available here. However, it wouldnt surprise me if it was dropped from the Australian market at some stage. The basic XR and XC models didnt sell well here at all and Triumph Australia wouldnt have brought them in if they had their time again. The case for dropping the 900 model is both more and less compelling depending on whether you view the new electronics as more or less desirable I guess.

Not related but after B0M0A0K mentioned Edinburgh Triumph I thought of the key ring I use for my Tiger key. I didnt get it direct, unfortunately, but a friend brought it back a couple of years ago.

Offline B0M0A0K

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 10:40:49 PM »
 :047: :001:

Online Jarse

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 10:54:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by B0M0A0K [+]
Thanks, that's kind of you. Given that we only really have two choices, Edinburgh Triumph and Shirlaws I am leaning towards the latter. I like the idea of supporting a family business that's been going through the generations since the 1930's.

Are they good people to deal with do you think?

For me yes, very but opinions are like arseholes, everybody got one. Im a good customer and they give me very good service. So much so Id think long and hard about buying a bike from another of the local franchises. The fact they do Triumph helps 😊

Like I said, happy to make some introductions for you if you fancy a trip up the coast road.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch