Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Adding DRLs to 900GT  (Read 396 times)

Offline louballs

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT
Adding DRLs to 900GT
« on: September 06, 2020, 02:05:54 AM »
Hey all, the stock 900 GT is lacking in the lighting category. I'd like to add some additional lighting to use as DRLs and also for nighttime. I see Triumph sells some but you then also need crash bars. Any other alternatives that I can use and splice in to the existing wiring?

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
Re: Adding DRLs to 900GT
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 04:42:12 AM »
You wont need the crash bars if you can get hold of the mount rail used on the Pro models, either new or as take-off. However, if you use the OEM switch and wiring the lights can only be used if at least low beam is on. They dont come on if the stock DRL is on. I understand thats not an issue in the US because your bikes dont get the DRL - (correct?). In any case, youll have problems trying to connect other lights through your headlight switching, eg if you want them linked to high beam. Youll need a direct connection to a seperate power source, preferably switched so they turn off with the ignition. As for other mounts, you could try a couple of Water pipe hangers on your forks perhaps.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 07:08:29 AM »
Fork leg mounts can work quite well on a lot of bikes

with the caveat that I've not really looked at the 900
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline louballs

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 04:39:42 PM »
Correct, there's no DRL switch, low beams are on all the time. I would like to wire them directly into the low beam wiring so they are on whenever the bike is on. I wonder if I can buy the mount rail separately. Good idea!

*Originally Posted by Aussie Tiger [+]
You wont need the crash bars if you can get hold of the mount rail used on the Pro models, either new or as take-off. However, if you use the OEM switch and wiring the lights can only be used if at least low beam is on. They dont come on if the stock DRL is on. I understand thats not an issue in the US because your bikes dont get the DRL - (correct?). In any case, youll have problems trying to connect other lights through your headlight switching, eg if you want them linked to high beam. Youll need a direct connection to a seperate power source, preferably switched so they turn off with the ignition. As for other mounts, you could try a couple of Water pipe hangers on your forks perhaps.

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 08:54:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by louballs [+]
Correct, there's no DRL switch, low beams are on all the time. I would like to wire them directly into the low beam wiring so they are on whenever the bike is on. I wonder if I can buy the mount rail separately. Good idea!

Im pretty sure youll have the fog light switch on the front of your left switch block so that would be the ideal option, but you would need to turn them on separately each time you start the bike. I recall some discussion of that a little while ago.
However, If you want them directly connected to the low beam I understand this is more difficult. I wanted to add driving lights on mine that go on with hi beam only, and off when low beam is selected. Ive been told that it cant be done because of the way the LED headlights operate.

Have a look here. https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,25489.msg308869.html#msg308869

Recent Topics

winded-staunch