Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Black Coolant  (Read 743 times)

Offline stevedo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
Black Coolant
« on: September 07, 2020, 09:39:05 PM »
Hola amigos, I recently discovered that my coolant is totally black. It was changed about 7,000 miles ago (just over 12 months) so is not old. Bike is a 2011 model. There are small black particles in the coolant which when rubbed between thumb and forefinger just disappear.

Coolant has the "normal" feel of coolant, there does not appear to be oil in it. I would suspect a brown sludge if there was. As far as I can see through the site glass, the oil is clean and is also sludge free. The site glass is clean, no sludge.

With the exception of the "T" hose which is about 2 years old, all coolant hoses are original and over 9 years old. With the exception of the top hose i.e. from top of radiator to thermostat housing, all hoses are relatively soft, pliable and easily squeezed. The top hose is hard and very difficult to squeeze.

Should also add that the expansion tank cap is perished and no longer seals properly. Not sure if that makes any difference?

My instinct tells me that one or more of the coolant hoses is breaking down and contaminating the coolant.

Any other ideas of what may be the cause of my black coolant?

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 10:19:36 PM by stevedo »
Orange 800xc ABS travelling around the world. Currently in Argentina. www.tiger800rtw.com or https://www.facebook.com/Tiger800RTW/

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Black Coolant
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 09:56:00 PM »
i think your instinct is right, but that is a strange one.
If it was oil-to-water you would think the sight glass would show evidence.
A check: If you let the black water sit in the container for a long time, you could expect any oil to seperate and float.
9 years is a long time for hoses and they do often deteriorate from the inside first.

The other possibility could be carbon if there is a leak in a cylinder.
A compression check across all 3 cyl would give an indication.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 08:42:44 AM »
Have you or a previous owner ever used anything like Water Wetter in the system?
That's been known to produce black deposits
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline stevedo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 07:22:01 PM »
I did use some Motul MoCool in conjunction with Motul coolant some time ago. However, the blackening of the coolant is a recent thing and I'm not sure the two are related. The coolant I just drained (changed 12 months ago) did not have any additives added. I'm the original owner of the bike which now has 75,000 miles on it.

Today I rescued some of the particles, see attached photos. The larger parts are about 3mm in size and definitely rubbery. What do you guys think? Hose breaking down? Bike runs like a swiss watch.

Orange 800xc ABS travelling around the world. Currently in Argentina. www.tiger800rtw.com or https://www.facebook.com/Tiger800RTW/

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 09:32:43 PM »
Seems pretty compelling evidence. You want to make sure your radiator isnt getting clogged and do a thorough reverse flush (as well as new hoses from the look of it).

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 12:31:38 AM »
How do you do a reverse flush? Do you need a pump?

Chico

Offline Baetech

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800XRt
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 07:21:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
How do you do a reverse flush? Do you need a pump?

Chico

Reverse flush is when you "typically" will pump in the opposite direction with a PUMP or take the radiator apart and just go upside down, also, i think your radiator CAP maybe giving up and the rubber seal may be the reason of the black color, anyway, do you have any updates ??

Recent Topics