Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: gear change spring broken - again  (Read 487 times)

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
gear change spring broken - again
« on: September 08, 2020, 05:25:41 PM »
Hi there,
was on the road today and after 15 kms or so gear lever did not come up again after shifting down. The bl**dy spring again I thought. First one broke while bike was still under guarantee thats 5 years and almost 60,000 kms ago. My trusted mechanic will look after it next week because he is very busy at the moment, I hope the gear shift cam is alright and only the spring broke but maybe the pin on the cam sheared off greater damage then.

Only good thing is I only came back a week ago after 2,000 kms Mosel, Vosges and Black Forest so I am happy it happened here within 5 kms of my mechanic. I could down shift by slightly lifting the lever before pushing it down but not great fun to ride like this.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: gear change spring broken - again
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 06:35:23 PM »
Most likely to be the return spring shaft. When the weak springs were replaced Triumph put a stronger spring in & it shifted the problem to the little shaft - which is only held in place with a sort of hollow rivet.  Drill and tap M5 &/or weld.  Easy peasy.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 07:34:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Most likely to be the return spring shaft. When the weak springs were replaced Triumph put a stronger spring in & it shifted the problem to the little shaft - which is only held in place with a sort of hollow rivet.  Drill and tap M5 &/or weld.  Easy peasy.

Can't do that myself I have the proverbial two left hands. Will tell my trusted mechanic what you recommend

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 09:36:06 AM »
If it is the return spring pin/shaft then it'll be held by the two arms of the spring. At least mine was so there shouldn't be a problem with loose bits in the engine.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:45:03 AM by KildareMan »

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 09:55:24 AM »
Thank you very helpful....

One thing I do not understand: apparently that pin is held by a rivet and not bolted, but it is sold as a separate spare part. So you are supposed to put it back on by a rivet? or is it bolted in newer versions?

see #20 on the spare part list

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 10:27:24 AM »
Part #20 is the pin pushed into part #13 that can be seen in both pics, not the piece that fails. The piece that breaks is part of the main shaft, on the forked bit on the left of the shaft (within part #8) on the spares diagram.  :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 11:46:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
Part #20 is the pin pushed into part #13 that can be seen in both pics, not the piece that fails. The piece that breaks is part of the main shaft, on the forked bit on the left of the shaft (within part #8) on the spares diagram.  :028:

ah I see, so if that bit is off I need a new shaft right?

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 12:00:13 PM »
No, if you look at Kildareman's 2nd picture you will see the broken pivot piece rivet body and head drilled out and pivot tapped 6mm thread in it and a suitable screw fitted (in his case he has used an Allen key countersunk headed screw, but any suitable 6mm screw would be ok). Effectively repaired to a stronger repair than the original rivet fitting. :028:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,9167.50.html
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 12:05:37 PM by Stevie.P »
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 12:14:56 PM »
In fact the rivet head just tapped out leaving a perfect hole to bolt through. I've done two. My own and another member whose name I forget (apologies)

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Recent Topics