Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Problems with older models?  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Panagiotis

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: nothing curr.
Problems with older models?
« on: September 08, 2020, 08:11:20 PM »
Hi y'all!!! i tried to found a similar topic but probably there isn't one. Hope i'm in the correct section. So planning to buy my first triumph and of course i'm going for the xc as i like a bit of off road. My main concern though is that i've heard that the first models had quite a few problems. Are there any owners here to confirm or not that? Seems that i can find some pretty good deals here in UK on older models (2013-14) but i'm worried about the rumours. Any help welcome!

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
Re: Problems with older models?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 08:25:34 PM »
The 1st gen. Tigers are pretty reliable, problems with the gear shaft spring are quite common, make sure that the factory recall has been made
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Panagiotis

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 08:33:23 PM »
Thanks! How do i see that? Is there any link that I can get the information? Or I have to contact triumph after acquiring the frame serial number I guess?

Online Phones

• Tiger Member
  • Old age don't stop you riding it just hurts
  • Bike: Black 800xc
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 08:39:54 PM »
I have a 2011 XC 35,000 miles ridden hard on and off road not one problem.  :418:

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 10:39:25 PM »
Early Tigers also suffer from the worn starter bushes issue once they get some miles on them. The bike will not start when not being the primary symptom.
Other things to be aware of.
There was a modification to the centre stand in 2012 to stop it banging on the swing arm from memory.
There was a recall on indicators when they started to fall off.
The stepper motor needs to be kept clean. That is really just maintenance but owners need to be aware of it.

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 10:45:15 PM »

*Originally Posted by Panagiotis [+]
Thanks! How do i see that? Is there any link that I can get the information? Or I have to contact triumph after acquiring the frame serial number I guess?

Generally recalls should be recorded in the bikes service book but either way you cant be certain. To check for sure if a recall has been done you need the last 6 digits of the VIN (frame no.). Any Triumph dealer change then check for anything outstanding. Theres not been much wrong with any of the Tiger gens or models, by the way. Be a little wary of very low mileage older bikes, more so than a bike thats been well used (and looked after).

Offline pemcer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: TIGER 800
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 10:01:15 AM »
2012 Tiger Roadie 53,000 miles & counting, new indicators on a recall & a gearbox return spring at 30,000 odd miles & that's it as yet.

Offline Panagiotis

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 12:15:41 PM »
Thanks for all the answers! Did you have to pay anything at all for the recalls?

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 01:52:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Panagiotis [+]
Thanks for all the answers! Did you have to pay anything at all for the recalls?

No. If there are any outstanding recalls, labour and parts are provided at no charge. If you cant get the bike to a Dealer, transportation would normally be at your expense, but worth asking the question, especially if the bike is off the road as a result of a failure related to a recall.

Its worth reiterating that there havent been major problems with Tigers. Most recalls have been for things like Re-torque or replacing a bolt, replacing a spring or some screws, adding a cable tie, and as noted above, replacement indicators, that sort of thing. Theres obviously been other things but nothing you should be too worried about.
As an indication of how cautious Triumph is, on the new 900 Ive already had 2 recalls and a service bulletin - The recalls have been to grease a fuse and replace the rear reflector (seriously) and the SB was to re-torque the rear foot peg mounts, which Ive removed anyway.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 02:01:24 PM by Aussie Tiger »

Online stevedo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 02:49:20 PM »
I have a gen 1 800XC that I've been using on a RTW trip. Currently locked down in Argentina with bike on about 75,000 miles. I keep an extensive maintenance and repair log online. The bike is ridden two-up with luggage 99% of the time and has had a hard life, especially here in South America.

Maintenance and repair log for Tigger is https://www.tiger800rtw.com/tiger-800xc-maintenance/

Don't worry about clicking the link, I have no adverts etc, it's just a record of the trip.
Orange 800xc ABS travelling around the world. Currently in Argentina. www.tiger800rtw.com or https://www.facebook.com/Tiger800RTW/

Recent Topics