Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Problems with older models?  (Read 3644 times)

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800xc
Re: Problems with older models?
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 06:49:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Early Tigers also suffer from the worn starter bushes issue once they get some miles on them. The bike will not start when not being the primary symptom.
Other things to be aware of.
There was a modification to the centre stand in 2012 to stop it banging on the swing arm from memory.
There was a recall on indicators when they started to fall off.
The stepper motor needs to be kept clean. That is really just maintenance but owners need to be aware of it.

my indicators started breaking the stalks past the warrantee date - wasn't a recall campaign, but if you brought it in was covered longer. A set of 4 new stalks was relatively inexpensive so that's easily fixed.

that's a pretty good list. My 2012 hasn't had any of the other issues.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 12:23:56 AM »
Cosmetically, mirror stalks.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 10:12:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Cosmetically, mirror stalks.

:0461:

Had the left one originally renewed under warranty at 2yr service for corrosion.

Now having already removed rust once, treated with a rust product and repainted my mirrors are again disgusting and need restripping and repainting. :006: :151:

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 03:21:55 AM »
Thats pretty bad. I have seen some mirror storks that have lost there gloss but never anything like that. I guess living in a hot dry place a couple of hundred kms inland helps. All the metal, whether painted or polished, whatever, on all my bikes stays as good as new. You do see a fair bit of rust on cheaper brands though, even here, and (of course) on Harleys, but away from the coast I think Triumphs generally hold up really well.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 02:00:37 PM »
I went plastic years ago with the added advantage there's a pivot point so they can bend in. That or I use my CRG lanesplitter bar end mirrors.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online freeware

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 09:47:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
:0461:

Had the left one originally renewed under warranty at 2yr service for corrosion.

Now having already removed rust once, treated with a rust product and repainted my mirrors are again disgusting and need restripping and repainting. :006: :151:

I thought it's only me having this issue!

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 12:55:57 AM »
That's wild, I have a 2012 with 80k km on it and nothing like that at all.
The signal stalks started breaking around 70k km and I replaced them with LED bulbs.
Other than fork seals around 65k I've not had any real maintenance issues.

Offline kbar800

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2012 800 Road
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 03:09:15 PM »

Its a bit of a secret between us owners  - the 2012 model is an  engineering masterpiece by Triumph .
8 years owned and runs like clockwork - not high mileage but used in all weathers and mainly 2 up fully loaded.
The Motorcycle press & Dealers would have you believe you need the latest model !. So untrue - but that's what sell magazines & bikes  :492:
Living the dream - early retired

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 09:09:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by kbar800 [+]
Its a bit of a secret between us owners  - the 2012 model is an  engineering masterpiece by Triumph .
8 years owned and runs like clockwork - not high mileage but used in all weathers and mainly 2 up fully loaded.
The Motorcycle press & Dealers would have you believe you need the latest model !. So untrue - but that's what sell magazines & bikes  :492:

Yeah the biggest problem is you'll never need another bike after the 800  :417:

Offline 93TigerBill

• Tiger Member
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 11:38:07 PM »
Re: 2012 Roadies & XC's - wonder whether the lack of problems has anything to do with the Gen 1's being the last to be constructed at Hinkley?
Just a thought......
'93 Tiger 885; '12 Tiger 800XC
IBA #45911; FarRider #89

Recent Topics

winded-staunch