Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Problems with older models?  (Read 4446 times)

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: FZ1N, XJR1300
Re: Problems with older models?
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2020, 08:36:09 PM »
Good to hear the 2012 was a good year, I bought a 4000 mile 2012 800xc 6 weeks ago. it is as brand new and was still on the original tyres ( I checked the dates on them). Called up triumph today no recalls needed. Bike runs and rides like a new bike, still is really I guess. Wont be doing a lot of miles on it maybe 2 or 3000 a year as I have other bikes so should be a good bike to keep for a long time.  :001:. Just fitted bash plate , satnav mount behind screen,Beowulf carbon fibre exhaust, frame plugs, rear shock protector as a new Nitron shock is coming tomorrow I hope. So bike should handle a lot better, not that its bad as did not buy it to ride fast. Must say very comfortable to ride on longer distances. Did not want the XC really as it will ever see off road but when I seen the condition and mileage had to buy it. Heres hoping for trouble free riding.
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2020, 09:06:40 PM »
You've modded your bike more in a week than I have in 8 years.

Offline pemcer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: TIGER 800
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2020, 07:47:17 AM »
Best to change the tyres at 8 years old they will have age hardened, better safe than sorry.

Offline Arianta

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2020, 06:38:23 PM »
Hmmm. 2012 the best year? I've just bought an 800 that's been tarted up  to look like an XC. It also has a black frame and a dealer tells me it's a '12 model. I'm keeping the rear shock and the beak, but lowering it and having the seat sculpted to fit me.
Insurance for me in S.E. London/N.W. Kent is 180 and I'm 75.
'38 Triumph 250 single, '55 Tiger cub, more BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at. '53 BSA A10, '66 Dunstall Norton 750 Atlas, 40 year break, MT07, R3, 650 Burgman, Bonnie America 865, 700 Deauville, Tiger 800. Phew!

Offline Poacher67

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2013 XC ABS
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2020, 02:57:28 PM »
I'm new to the forum having just swapped to a Tiger 800 XC from a BMW R850R - I'm just a young whipper-snapper at 53 but CN have just charged me 134.00 on top of my freshly renewed fully comp of 171.00 (total of 305.00 with 9 years no claims and no extra cover (leathers/helmet etc.. !)  :023: - I've been with CN for over 20 years but I think I'll give them a miss at the next renewal.
I thought it was now illegal to discriminate against people on the basis of age ? I'm assuming the insurance industry must cough big wads of cash to the government because they do seem to get away with anything they like !

Offline Poacher67

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2013 XC ABS
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2020, 03:30:23 PM »
My 2013 800 XC has just turned over 21000 miles, I've not had it long but it's obviously been well used and maintained so I'm not worried, my only concern when I got it was the rumbling clutch but to my relief a quick search on this great forum soon revealed that 'they all do that sir'..
I'm actually a relative newcomer to 'modern' bikes, before the BMW R850R  :232: I've just got rid of I'd only ridden classic British bikes since passing my test (and still do) There's a lot said about reliability in the classic bike community but I believe that the key to reliability is regular use, for over 10 years I rode a 1970 750 Commando as my all year round daily rider, beyond routine servicing I never did anything to it and it never missed a beat, whilst my low mileage '77 Mk3 Commando, which I only rode occasionally in summer, was often a pig to start.
I read somewhere that one of the biggest threats to human health is the armchair and I think the same applies to bikes and the garage/shed, if you ride your bike regularly it will usually be just fine..

Recent Topics