Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The "Demonstrator" Question  (Read 1072 times)

Offline B0M0A0K

• Tiger Member
The "Demonstrator" Question
« on: September 09, 2020, 04:53:10 PM »
I have started pondering the question of whether I should consider "Ex-Demonstrators" in my search for a Tiger 900. I have now extended my search to include the Tiger 900 Rally Pro after chatting with owners who are also "inside leg challenged" and it seems that the Rally pro is not as tall as I had first imagined.

My biggest problem then is supply. No one seems to have any supply before January next year if I am buying new. As someone pointed out, "why buy in January when you could hold out for the new plate in March?" So I am also looking now at ex-demonstrators. I know that the main argument against is that it could have been mistreated on demonstration rides, but what concerns would youhave if you were looking potentially at a demonstrator, or would you just not consider it?

... answers on a postcard ...

Online Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
Re: The "Demonstrator" Question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 04:58:01 PM »
I would consider an ex demonstrator, but they are ALWAYS overpriced considering the abuse they have suffered at the hands of others.

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 05:03:15 PM »
I bought an ex demo K1600. 1066 miles in 9 months. No problem once I got my head around it not being new. Just sold it after 6 years. Loved it. Magnificent machine.
2018 Xca. BMW K1600GTL. Suzuki GT380

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline B0M0A0K

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 05:44:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply's folks. I'm a little surprised, but pleasantly so. I had expected a hail of "they'll have been trashed" etc.

I guess it comes down to mileage + price + risk factor. I have been checking with the Triumph dealers in Scotland (all two of them) and both are going to sell their demonstrators, but not for a little while as they just can't get enough stock of either the Rally Pro or the GT Pro to replace them. At present I am getting quoted December or January before they see stock.

It's been so long since I bought a bike that I guess I am a little out of touch with how long it can take.

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 07:24:48 PM »
I'd have no issue at all with buying an ex-demonstrator, there's no real way that the bike could have been thrashed on the road in a way that will cause it permanent / hidden damage unless it had been crashed....and even then they are robust bikes.

I'd be more concerned buying an older bike with a questionable service history.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 08:17:52 PM »
My 800 bought september 2019, was a demonstrator with 4000km on the clock, honestly modern bikes do not really need much warmup and with all the surface treatments on cylinders and other parts, engine break in is far from what it was years ago.
And it's not like it's a Panigale or R1, that are more conceived to be at a certain failure limit, the Tiger engine is for reliability, hence the 95hp.

They still have break-in in manuals as it's got no adverse effects (legal liability too), also for you to get used to the motorcycle, not so much for engine parts to correctly adjust, modern engines are all run on the factory line, before shipping, at most if an engine would really be brutalized, it might eat a bit of oil.

I'm at 16'000km and absolutely nothing bad.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 08:21:49 PM by Djairouks »

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 08:35:43 PM »
I can't say about now but the Plymouth dealer used to let the staff ride the new demo bikes as personal transport until they had 500 miles on them before allowing them out for demo rides, that way they ensured a known initial run in period. I recall that the then new generation Street Triple (2013) demo bike I rode was happily bought by another ST forum member up north who had it delivered to him unseen and was well pleased.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline cyclops69

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 08:56:16 PM »
Ive bought an ex-demo bike before and an ex dealer which was my Tiger  (they said it was the directors bike) and no  issues of note. I think Triumph also give you the two year warranty from when you purchase it rather than when they registered it. Theres some theory I believe  that having different riders use a bike during run in  gives it the varied use which the running in period is good for.  I agree - some do seem overpriced.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 10:36:46 PM »
The concept that demonstrator vehicles have been thrashed is urban myth and something people continually repeat to I guess show just how much they know. Mechanically you will have no more issues with a demonstrator than you would with many new bikes in fact many small teething issues that owners usually have to sort out are already done in the workshop.
The only issue with a demonstrator is cost. Is the discount worth it? Often its not.

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 10:55:34 PM »
I'd always recommend a ex demonstrator bike, my current XRT was 800 Miles old when I bought it and I got it for 2000 pounds less than a new one and the first service was stamped in the book. I'm now touring Northern England with 9K miles on the clock and it's still running sweet with no issues since I bought it.
I did the same with my previous bike a Street Triple and no doubt I will do the same with my next bike.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch