Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear Shift Indicator  (Read 613 times)

Offline louballs

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT
Gear Shift Indicator
« on: September 10, 2020, 08:53:38 PM »
Hey guys,

I noticed when browsing through my "home" screen under "display" there is a section called gear shift indicator. It has "running in", custom, and disabled as options. I am sure this is supposed to help with when to shift as the custom allows me to set an RPM. What i found odd is that with it enabled, nothing happened. I never saw a notification on my display of when to shift gears. I also found it odd that this section was no where to be found in the bike's manual. It doesn't matter either way as I don't really need it, but i was just curious where the "indicator" would light up and also found it curious that it's not mentioned in the manual. Anyone else have this on their setup?

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
Re: Gear Shift Indicator
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 09:28:38 PM »
I recall looking for this myself a while ago, not finding it and forgetting about it. I might have another go when I go out. I will say that when our Street Triple R had those blue shift lights they drove me mad so I disabled the feature.

Offline louballs

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 09:31:30 PM »
I figured maybe I'd use it during breaking in period as a reminder, but I couldn't get any lights to show up. Maybe I'll try custom next and see if that does anything. Just found it weird the manual made no reference to it.

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 05:47:32 AM »
I activated it and........nothing. 🤷‍♂️

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 08:13:45 AM »
I assume youre talking about the Tiger models with a TFT display. I wasnt aware of this feature but it is mentioned in the Owners Handbook on page 49. Whats weird though is that there is nothing more included other than this feature being available on the Display Setup Menu. All of the other features listed have a more detailed explanation on the following pages but theres nothing for the Shift Indicator.

Maybe Triumph intended to implement this feature early in the design but decided against it later on and didnt bother to remove it from the menu.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 09:51:53 AM »
My Tiger 1200 has this feature and as I recall the display or part of it changed colour as I approached the recommended rev limits for each gear during the running-in period.

Once the running-in mileage had been covered it no longer did anything.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 10:06:12 AM »
Yes, youve reminded me, my 2019 Tiger 800 XRt also had a similar feature which only functioned during the first 500 miles. The tacho display changed colour when you reached the recommended revs for an upshift. I assume that this must have been selected by the dealer during the PDI because it was like that when I took it away from the showroom.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 10:08:14 AM by Fazer »

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 12:30:09 PM »
There is mention of the Display Setup Menu but its not to be found on the 900. On the Scrambler and Rocket with the small circular TFT you can set a welcome message; on the Tiger it cant be changed from good morning or good afternoon. Sounds like its a feature we dont have so perhaps  just lazy editing of the manual.

Offline louballs

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 03:01:04 PM »
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one! Not going to fuss with it then, just seems like something that isn't supposed to be there.

Offline boldie

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2020 Plate XRt
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 09:50:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fazer [+]
Yes, youve reminded me, my 2019 Tiger 800 XRt also had a similar feature which only functioned during the first 500 miles. The tacho display changed colour when you reached the recommended revs for an upshift. I assume that this must have been selected by the dealer during the PDI because it was like that when I took it away from the showroom.

Same here, nice little touch, mine was still active for the full running in period of 1000 miles.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch