Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: This isn't the Tiger your looking for .. (Star Wars Mis-quote)  (Read 889 times)

Offline JMc

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger800
Re: This isn't the Tiger your looking for .. (Star Wars Mis-quote)
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 01:21:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Aussie Tiger [+]
Quite right on the braking. Over use of the rear brake isnt a reasonable preference. Its inefficient, ineffective and actually dangerous both to the rider and other road users. On the road, the Rear brake should really only be used to balance the braking and for low speed manoeuvres.

I don't agree with the comments on the rear brake use, and can only imagine that those comments are made by riders who never carry pillions or very rarely and couldn't care less about their pillions riding experience......the back brake is ESSENTIAL if you have a pillion, if you only use the front brake then you will be constantly being hit in the back of the head, the use of the back brake settles the bike down and prepares the pillion that you are slowing down without the sudden jerk forwards you get from using the front brake, with good riding & observation there is little need to brake hard where the front would benefit your stopping distance. good control of both brakes is always a must

Just saying

Jmc

Offline B0M0A0K

• Tiger Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 01:36:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMc [+]
I don't agree with the comments on the rear brake use..

Thank God, I was beginning to think it was just me.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 01:43:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by B0M0A0K [+]
Thank God, I was beginning to think it was just me.

Don't worry you're not alone, I currently have 2 bikes, my Tiger and a 2014 Fazer 8, well I almost never use the rear on the Fazer, because the weight distribution is pretty much biased to the front and I don't duo too painful, but on the Tiger it is more 50/50 and I use both all the time.

In upwards inclines with passenger, I was teached to use both to stop also, much safer !

Breaking power in emergency situations obviously the front is paramount, but the rear can be handy too, especially when the weight of the bike is not front biased, like supersport models.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:45:56 PM by Djairouks »

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 06:47:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
...the rear can be handy too, especially when the weight of the bike is not front biased, like supersport models.
Irrespective of motorcycle design, all bikes become front biased when slowing or stopping.
Sir I. Newton's 1st Law of Motion - Law of Inertia - makes it so.
(weight transfers forward...)
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 08:19:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Irrespective of motorcycle design, all bikes become front biased when slowing or stopping.
Sir I. Newton's 1st Law of Motion - Law of Inertia - makes it so.
(weight transfers forward...)

Yes weight transfer loads the forks making front brake more effective, still some trail type motorcycles can have more of a 50/50 static weight distribution, unlike sportbikes 70/30.
When you have a passenger or luggage as our motorcycles are often used, this makes the rear brake a bit more effective even if front is still the main brake, with added weight I prefer using both, makes it more stable.

Online tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 09:04:57 PM »
I don't agree with the comments on the rear brake use, and can only imagine that those comments are made by riders who never carry pillions or very rarely and couldn't care less about their pillions riding experience......the back brake is ESSENTIAL if you have a pillion, if you only use the front brake then you will be constantly being hit in the back of the head, the use of the back brake settles the bike down and prepares the pillion that you are slowing down without the sudden jerk forwards you get from using the front brake, with good riding & observation there is little need to brake hard where the front would benefit your stopping distance. good control of both brakes is always a must

Just saying

I've carried pillions for the last 40 years and primarily used the front brake (and observation) for the last 40 years. No complaints.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Online Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2020, 09:27:53 PM »
good control of both brakes is always a must

Jmc

Amen to that... of course you need to handle both brakes, manufactures put both brakes on the bike for a reason. My response was that a preference for the back brake is not really a good idea. So you got to use both brakes bearing in mind that according to Sir Newtons laws the majority of the force is on the front brake. As I said without ABS you needed to know that in order not to break to hard in the front as the wheel blocked, slipped etc..
Honestly the last accident I had was on a scooter, wet road too much force on the front, wheel blocked and the scooter skidded accross the road leaving my on that road on my back unable to move like a turtle turned over. So all I wanted to say was: don' rely just on the back break use both of the brakes and keep in mind that the majority of killing power is done at the front...

Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 09:44:29 PM »

Just saying

Jmc

I was responding to the remark that the OP favours use of the rear over the front. That is why I said overuse. I also said that the rear should be used to balance braking. Using the rear as the primary (as in main, not first) brake is the practise that is bad and should not be open to personal preference, whether youre carrying a passenger or not.  I dont think anyone is suggesting it shouldnt be used at all.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch