Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cancelled Megameet Therapy  (Read 3277 times)

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
Re: Cancelled Megameet Therapy
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 10:12:36 PM »
Go steady Stevie, youll be stealing Phils Iron Butt crown if youre not careful. How many miles have you racked up in the last couple of days?
Stay safe matey.
Geoff

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 10:30:06 PM »
Hi Geoff
Just over 700 miles on the 3 rides (6 days) which considering between late August 2019 MOT and late August this years MOT, due to the October heart issues and then covid, I only covered a measly 1500 miles I'm well pleased and glad I did bring the bike as I wasn't really in the right frame of mind for hauling it up here until only a few days before our planned departure. Because I've been riding solo (wife needs a new helmet and wants to wait until next year now  :020: :008:  ), like when I long distance drive, I tend not to stop much so the Sargent seat has been well and truly tested and received my seal of approval for sure. Fingers and toes now crossed that the efforts of Uli can go ahead and we all head for Frankfurt.

Have a weekend of DIY for our host which I don't mind as I'm sure the Lakes area will be busy and it is free B & B :001: but hope to get a couple more decent days before leaving next Saturday though looks like rain may be on its way around Tuesday .... but depends how heavy with the roll I'm on. :084:

See you ASAP. Stevie :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 10:59:21 PM »
Just for interest only (as I don't actually care what the bike uses or I'd have something claiming to be economical) I can see that (based on actual fuel used and miles ridden not the bikes data):

The Lakes & Passes - 163 miles - 57.33 MPG(UK)
The Alston South Loop - 258 miles - 63.47 MPG(UK)
The Alston North Loop - 281 miles - 62.89 MPG(UK)

Pretty much as expected drop for the Lakes v the open roads. :002:

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 08:00:12 AM »
I also stopped at the big stone that welcomes people to England at the top of a very nice twisty road last week.

Did you notice that the England flag to the left of the parking area was in tatters whilst the Scotland flag on the other side of the road was in pristine condition?

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 09:57:02 AM »
I can't say I even noticed any flag that side, it was a pretty sparse welcome compared to the other side with the tidy Scottish flag, stone and Scottish Borders sign. I only recall the simple 'England' on the stone and about 50m further down at the viewing point exit another big 'Welcome to Northumberland' sign. Pretty poor comparison. :151:

Didn't see any signs of protest about crossing the border at all though going along one road near Canonbie I came up to 2 Police vans and a Police car stopped like a chickane and he waved me to stop, no other traffic around, and I thought is it a spot check asking what I'm doing, where and why. But after a few seconds the cop waved me on and as I passed one of the vans there was a youngish couple with a police officer stood beside their pretty new bright red BMW .... with the full width of the front end pushed back about a third of the engine bay length. Strange as it was in the middle of a long straight stretch of road nowhere near any bend or sign of any other vehicle involvement. :027:

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 10:06:31 PM »
Slipped a few more miles in today. Had pre-planned to do the previous (1st ride above) Lakes circuit in reverse but looking at this weeks weather forecast it looked like today was the last full decent day so decided I wanted to to the Kielder road knowing it would be a decent days mileage.

The first 'diversion' was when the diversion off the main Hartside Cafe (as was) to Alston road was also diverted half way and the subsequent route meant instead of maybe a mile from Alston Texaco station it was a 3.5 mile detour through Garrigill. Fuelled up and grabbed a wrap and bag of crisps and on my way. Instead of the A686, the A689 and B6295 to Hexam is definitely worth it.

Turned off the A69 at Hexam on to the A6079 and then the B6320 all the way to Kielder (and my turn around point at Saughtree (due to the closed road) ..... well I would have. With no forward notice I nearly got to Wark and the road was closed with the guys just sat there in their van and cones right across the road. Had to run back down to the A6079 junction and head over to the A68 and head up to nearly Otterburn and back on myself to Bellingham .... then back on track.

Start of Kielder Water

The return was simply a backtrack with another fuel top up at Alston .... because I found out last week that the petrol station in Cockermouth (opposite the Premier Inn we used last year and all used for fuel) is the only one in Cockermouth and subsequently is 6p a litre more expensive than Alston in the middle of nowhere.  :172: :151:

On the way back it was the best part of the day approaching Keswick and the view was superb ...

Route obviously the east side of the previous ride where I couldn't access Kielder from the north.

Total run for the day: 10:20 set off - 5:30 return. Covered 276 miles and bike returned 60.3 MPG. :028:

Hope to do the Lakes in reverse Wednesday and Friday maybe over to Alston and the B6277 to Middleton-in-Teesdale as I need to keep it short and get ready for an early departure back to Plymouth Saturday morning. :003:

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 11:03:09 PM »
Well the weather definitely took a turn. The temperature dropped and the drizzle appeared, contrary to the forecast for a good sunny day. So at 9.5c I set off to redo my initial Lakes route but the opposite way around. The colder weather and damp roads definitely made it a bit more of a cautious start to the ride.

Approaching Whinlatter Pass ...

... on through Honister Pass ...

... around and down the west coast past Sellafield 'Energy Park'.

The weather had brightened up a bit and the temperature raised to 12c and thankfully the roads had dried although after riding through Wynrose Pass though as I passed over the uphill entry cattle grid at the start of the Hardknott Pass I had the only micro-scare of the day when the back end violently slid to the right on the wet metal rails before gaining grip back on tarmac.

Riders dream ... again almost zero traffic, I think I only saw 4 other bikes all day (though dozens of the non-powered ones  :005: )

By then the weather had gone back to drizzly and cold. By the time I got to Kirkstone Pass the cloud was again sitting low on the peaks.

... and on the other side.

As said little traffic all day and fortunately still pre-autumn so barely any leaf fall though 2 bends did have a few leaves on and twice exiting tractors had left a trail of mud for a few hundred yards.

Managed another 142 miles so currently managed 1137 miles over the 5 rides, just hoping to squeeze a short day in on Friday.

The route map was the very first one above so here I'll put the actually directions page with road numbers as the marked red route on the maps are vague with regard to some of the smaller more interesting roads.
:460:

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 06:31:08 AM »
Thanks Stevie, cracking thread to read.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 09:39:31 AM »
 :430: ..... must have accidentally touched that last icon (bottom of post) on the tablet  :148:  after previewing the post. Clearly not meant to be there and only just noticed and no longer able to edit/delete. :138:

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 11:46:09 AM »
Just for if anyone would like the .gpx file I created for the above Lake District loop for a future use, etc.

Mapped in Basecamp with the up to date - City Navigator Europe NTU 2021.10

Recent Topics

winded-staunch