Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Looking for some R&D help - add and manage your accessories easily!  (Read 394 times)

Offline StephanT

• Tiger Cub
hi All,

Let me start off by saying that this is neither a commercial plug, nor am I soliciting for selling/promotion/discounts etc.  - This is purely a topic requesting R&D help from the community. 
I have read the rules, and I have the blessings of the powers that be, based on the intention of addressing a well known requirement in the Tiger community.

The goal is a device that connects to your bike, no cutting or tapping into any wires, that allows you to add and control basically any accessories you could want to fit to your bike.  If it sounds familiar, it is because we do that for quite a number of other brands and models, and as of late we have been flooded by requests to offer the same on Tigers. Unfortunately, not of the requests have been within a practical circumference.

That said, at the moment what I am in need of are a couple of Tiger enthusiasts in and around my area, so we can do some testing. Testing is basic and non-intrusive (data observation only).  The more variations of 800, 900 and 1200 we can cover, the faster we can conclude the project.

The process looks as follows:
  • For phase one, I'm looking for enthusiastic R&D participants in my area which is Leatherhead in Surrey... of course being bikers we love to ride, so I'm not going to restrict the radius... (my place always has good espresso, a cold one of sorts and other beverages to quench the thirst after a long ride!  For the coffee-snobs among us (present company included) a good cup of brew is on me at Charlie & Ginger...
  • naturally those that wish to partake in phase two will be kitted with prototypes for field testing.
  • In phase three I will widen the scope of testing to Beta, and possibly look at broadening the scope of models.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, and let's focus on Step One.  For now I would like to focus R&D on the Tiger 900 versions as well as the last Tiger 800 versions. Any interested enthusiasts, pls PM me

If anyone has any comments, suggestions etc, feel free to let me know.. Naturally *ANY* technical data is always highly appreciated!

Some personal notes:
  • I'm a rider too - hardly get enough time to ride these days.. but it doesn't mean I don't want to!
  • Best trip was 2 months through Africa, camping where we could (and where we shouldn't)
  • And yes, the 900 is starting to grow on me - trying to find some time to plan testride..
  • Lastly I'll be finding my way up into Wales next week, if our paths should cross...

best
Stephan

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Tiger Master
Re: Looking for some R&D help - add and manage your accessories easily!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 08:41:32 AM »
Admin  note:  This topic is authorised.

Please give your support if able to assist  :028:

:031:
Need Support ? Post issues in this section: Forum Help / Issues / Problems
Alternatively, pm me about private or commercial issues/questions.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:36:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by StephanT [+]
...The goal is a device that connects to your bike, no cutting or tapping into any wires, that allows you to add and control basically any accessories you could want to fit to your bike.  If it sounds familiar, it is because we do that for quite a number of other brands and models...

I guess by 'we' you're referring to HexInnovate and the device being your HEX ezCAN Accessory Manager? (a very nice piece of kit by the way)  :028:

In which case I've been really surprised that you didn't already have support for a range of Triumph models. I decided to decode the CAN bus information myself (pretty quick & easy to do) during work on the TigerTool diagnostic software development & that of my screw-on aftermarket TPMS integration. It meant I could monitor the CAN bus signals to add accessory control for on/off & PWM control of fog lights etc. If time and other workload allowed I'd continue this with a view to making a cheap small module available to others, but I've got a few other contracts on the go so have enough on my plate right now.

There's a member over at the Explorer forum who took pointers from me to build his own Arduino-based system and attach it to his bike to control additional lights with the high beam and use another switch / signal to operate his auto garage door opener.

If you want to save some development time, and assuming you need the information, I might feel generous and provide decoded CAN data from my 2019 Tiger 1200 XRT which includes signals for fog, dip, main, DRL & indicator lights, as well as switch monitoring for the left switch cube (horn, menu, heated seat switches etc). You've done the hard work by creating the ezCAN hardware, so porting it over to the Tiger and several other Triumph models should be a breeze.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline StephanT

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »
hi T800CX,

indeed - I was very careful trying not to breach the commercial rules.. Thank you for the kind words - I like what you are doing too, by the way  :028: ..and I might have a couple of suggestions or even help if you want..

In terms of not having it earlier, you know what it's like... there are always the time and resource constraints... and to be fair, it is only the past 2 months that we have noted a significant increase in requests from the Triumph community. Of course the fact that my wondering eye has taken a fancy to the 900... added a little bit of spice to the mix...

I would appreciate any info you have to share, especially on the Tiger 1200.

best
Stephan

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 11:59:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by StephanT [+]

I would appreciate any info you have to share, especially on the Tiger 1200.

I'd like to see the ezCAN products available for Triumph bikes so I'll try to put some notes together and PM them over later this week, or as soon as I can drag myself away from a couple of time-sensitive customer projects long enough!

The data for the 1200 should be similar (or the same?) as that for the 900 and possibly Mk3 800 and other new(ish) models. I no longer have my Mk1 Explorer or Tiger 800, but it's the newer models with multi-function switch cubes on the handlebars that seem to be integrating more switch monitoring etc. into the CAN data.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline StephanT

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 04:21:34 PM »
Roger that - appreciated!

:031:

Recent Topics