Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Time for new tyres  (Read 2876 times)

Online matt748

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRX
Time for new tyres
« on: September 15, 2020, 07:52:27 AM »
Sitrep: Michelin Road 5s, fitted last year. Front 2mm, Rear 3mm. Theyve done 6508 miles.

Ive been impressed with them. Sure footed, no problems and mileage is reasonable.

My choices:
1. Same again
2. Dunlop Roadsmart III
3. Metzler Roadtec 01SE

I have no experience of Dunlops or Metzler on bikes but they come out well in reviews. All my riding is on tarmac.
I know tyre threads are very subjective, but any thoughts? Thanks, Matt

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
Re: Time for new tyres
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 08:57:31 AM »
Don't think they do an "01SE" in a 19" front...

Online Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by matt748 [+]
...  any thoughts? Thanks, Matt

if you had even a smidgen of dirt or gravel in your riding, I would have had no hesitation in recommending the Dunlop Trailmax Missions - even so, they will look the part on your XRX

although I've not run them in the wet as yet, a mate on a GS with Dunlops fitted, had nothing but praise for both on-/off-road performance up the Sani pass two weeks ago in rain, sleet, snow, and gorrila-snot conditions

have always had good service/performance out of the Metzeler Roadtec 01's even on heavier and higher performance bikes than the Tiger - that would be my recommendation in this particular instance
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 10:06:29 AM »
TBH all the major brands are good, compared to what we had to ride on in the 70s when powerful mass produced bikes became easily available, they're amazing.

They all have similar performance for street riding, so going with what you know is a good call, for peace of mind if nothing else.
The only thing I find that is appreciably different is the way they wear, some square off or cup on some bikes more than others. A tyre that squares badly on one bike for a given type of riding may not on another bike  :027:

In this respect Conti Road Attack 3s work well for me, PR3s worked well for me, PR4s didn't and Road5s were just acceptable.
They all stuck to the road superbly wet or dry and gave great feedback.

In summary: you can't go wrong these days

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 04:37:58 PM »
I always preferred the road manners especially on wet, of continentals to Michelin, hated the PR4.
But if you loved the PR5 and want more mileage,  put a set of anakee adventure, it's basically the same rubber as the PR5, just with a lot more thread life, I've done about 7000 km with mine and the rear has still 4.9mm thread, front still 4mm, the grip while leaning is mind boggling.

Online Q

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 05:01:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
... the grip while leaning is mind boggling.

grip on the Dunlop TrailMax - no chicken strips left on this fully loaded GSA rear  :188: - ridden by a mate of mine who is a total lunatic on a bike but after he has tried all the 50/50 and 80/20 combos on the market, the Dunlops are the ones that he will fit again
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 05:20:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Q [+]

grip on the Dunlop TrailMax - no chicken strips left on this fully loaded GSA rear  :188: - ridden by a mate of mine who is a total lunatic on a bike but after he has tried all the 50/50 and 80/20 combos on the market, the Dunlops are the ones that he will fit again

Might be tempted to try these next time, but is mileage good, because my Michelin's will likely do 16'000km !?

I know some lunatics on big bikes too, however chicken strips don't say everything, if like me you lean your torso in big turns, you will go as fast with less lean, than the guys who push the bike in the corner.

Online Q

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 05:27:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Might be tempted to try these next time, but is mileage good, because my Michelin's will likely do 16'000km !?

don't know - haven't had mine on for long - the ones in the pic have 5,000kms on and I think Dunlop claims the rear will get ~12,000+

remains to be seen if the mileage claim matches the performance - because if it does, it will be a close to perfect 50/50
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:32:09 PM by Q »

Online matt748

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRX
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 05:33:05 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. I have to say I like the look of the Anakee Adventures, not a tyre Id considered being an 80/20 road bias. They definitely suit the bike, and have rave reviews.
If bought, it might tempt me down some of our Peak District more interesting lanes. Maybe.

Got my tyre guy getting me a fitted price. Everything else so far 270-300 😬

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 05:37:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by matt748 [+]
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. I have to say I like the look of the Anakee Adventures, not a tyre Id considered being an 80/20 road bias. They definitely suit the bike, and have rave reviews.
If bought, it might tempt me down some of our Peak District more interesting lanes. Maybe.

Got my tyre guy getting me a fitted price. Everything else so far 270-300 😬

I did a pretty rough road dirt full of rocks, on a mountain side in the Alps, they felt really capable and I'm on a XRT btw, on road I never feel like they are a compromise because of the off-road capability.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch