Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fresh leak spotted this morning, any help appreciated.  (Read 574 times)

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
Re: Fresh leak spotted this morning, any help appreciated.
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 11:17:47 AM »
In your second photo there appears to a trail of drops leading towards the bike from the side ie the back of the pic. Im actually very much in agreement with the first post from Jarse above. I really cant see a leak from your bike causing that pattern on the ground, and especially not without an obvious source.

Offline Hollanddd

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 11:25:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aussie Tiger [+]
In your second photo there appears to a trail of drops leading towards the bike from the side ie the back of the pic. Im actually very much in agreement with the first post from Jarse above. I really cant see a leak from your bike causing that pattern on the ground, and especially not without an obvious source.

Hi, that's my trail from where I come around through the empty spaces so I can back it into the space easier. As much as I'd love for it to be from a different vehicle as I'm a bit worried about actually riding the bike home today, I'm pretty sure it is the tiger. I'll have at look at the now soaked bike at lunch and update though. Thanks.

Online Grumps

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 11:51:35 AM »
When I wash my bike on the centre stand then put it on the side stand water runs out of some traps. Maybe it's from the last wash??
2018 Xca. BMW K1600GTL. Suzuki GT380

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 12:50:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hollanddd [+]
Hi, that's my trail from where I come around through the empty spaces so I can back it into the space easier. As much as I'd love for it to be from a different vehicle as I'm a bit worried about actually riding the bike home today, I'm pretty sure it is the tiger. I'll have at look at the now soaked bike at lunch and update though. Thanks.

Right. OK, in that same pic I can see some splatter on the RHS of the Centre stand in addition to the usual muck off the chain. Your oil filler cap isnt loose or missing by any chance?

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 01:01:55 PM »
Very observant Aussie Tiger! Youre right there is some oil spatter on the centre stand and its on top of the dried muddy crud so looks recent.

Offline Hollanddd

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the ideas and trying to help me out. I've gone out and had a look with one of the maintenance guys from my building and we've looked all around the bike and can't seem to find any source for the leak. The oil level looks fine and the filler cap is present but I will check if it is on tight when I finish work. There is still coolant in the tank, I had to look down from the cap to see it as I can't see any from the side, not sure if this was down to lighting, how cloudy the plastic is or if it is a bit low but there is some in there.

We've checked the radiator and there doesn't seem to be any signs of a leak and around the engine, still no signs. We ran the bike for a bit and it got up to temperature as normal and it didn't seem to get too hot or anything and idled as normal. There wasn't any streaks on the ground to signify it was oil but I will check everything over again when I finish work and everything has dried up completly to see if anything does show up and if all seems fine, take it around the block to check and if all is well, home.

I will check for any oil around the back of the engine/centre stand area and update this thread with any findings and if anyone has any more ideas as to what it could be, please share.

Thanks!

Offline Hollanddd

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 06:18:09 PM »
So, I have rode the bike home from Plymouth to Liskeard (about 23 miles of mostly dual carriageway speed) with a few stops to check everything and she seems completely fine, no leaks at all, still not getting too hot or anything so I have no idea what it could have been this morning but Ill keep an eye on it and try to book it in with a mechanic soon.

If I do find out exactly what caused it, Ill update the thread for reference and Im still open to any theories anybody may have. Thanks again.

Offline Jarse

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Rally Pro
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 06:26:06 PM »
Were the marks still there at home time?

I really suspect the marks werent yours in the first place. Id not get hung up about it if it does not happen again over the next couple of days.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 12:45:21 AM »
As fellow bikers sometimes do, we watched as one of our mates came out in the morning to find an oil puddle on the ground directly under his bike along with a sump plug.  :156: Fortunately, and with some relief, he realized  it was a set-up as payback for a practical joke the day before. The plug was only a spare and the oil was vegetable oil from the kitchen.
Just saying....
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 04:57:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hollanddd [+]
If I do find out exactly what caused it, Ill update the thread for reference and Im still open to any theories anybody may have. Thanks again.

glad it seems to have been a false positive - nothing wrong with checking the bike - you look after her, she'll look after you :-)
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Recent Topics

winded-staunch