Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Gauge Segment Missing.  (Read 497 times)

Offline Uczbpha

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XRX
Fuel Gauge Segment Missing.
« on: September 15, 2020, 09:07:10 PM »
Has anyone else had this issue, fill bike, fuel registers after a few mins as is normal, but the last segment is missing even though tank is full?

Its only done this the last two fill ups, faulty sensor, float stuck or is it typical of Triumph and will correct itself after a few fill ups?

Everything else is working fine so Im confused 😜😜

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Fuel Gauge Segment Missing.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 09:49:09 PM »
Fuelled on side or centre stand. I found in the past if doing a rush refuelling job on the side stand there can be quite an air lock still in the tank when the trigger cuts off and the top bar was often missing. I now like to put the bike on the centre stand and as it gets near the top slow the fuel right down allowing the air pocket to clear and I stop when the fuel touches the metal rim the cap locates in. Even brimmed right up it doesn't take many miles, about 15 on mine, before the top bar extinguishes.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Baetech

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800XRt
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 02:28:47 PM »
do you have aftermarket brake/clutch levelers ?  was it a hot day? usually aftermarket levelers cause the fuel gauge errors, also , during hot days plastic expands....

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Baetech [+]
do you have aftermarket brake/clutch levelers ?  was it a hot day? usually aftermarket levelers cause the fuel gauge errors, also , during hot days plastic expands....

Only if you are missing the extra CC knub on the clutch lever and even then rather than a missing segment you get no fuel gauge at all.  Tiger tank is metal, me just being a pedant. Yes I know metal also expands when hot.

Most likely issue is the fuel gauge crapping out / sticking float. Follow checks in manual.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Baetech

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800XRt
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 03:09:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Only if you are missing the extra CC knub on the clutch lever and even then rather than a missing segment you get no fuel gauge at all.  Tiger tank is metal, me just being a pedant. Yes I know metal also expands when hot.

Most likely issue is the fuel gauge crapping out / sticking float. Follow checks in manual.

AMAZING, sure mate, i have had this problem few time before, and quite honestly i wont be typing a long explanation , you are correct about 50% of all you said, the other 50% is missing, probably you just dont know it, im not here in a pissing contest because obviously you have a bigger one, all i can say is if you have aftermarket levelers (regardless if their missing something or not) you will have this issue, and if is a hot day sometimes the leveler gets stuck half way and that's why you missing SEGMENTS , you only miss the entire indication when the gauge is bad, if your missing segments is more likely one of the two options above, good luck , ive been in this rodeo for few years already and i know is annoying.

Offline Uczbpha

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 03:26:55 PM »
Thanks, bike is completely standard, OEM levers, if the leveller is stuck (only last segment missing) is there a way to free it or will it self correct after a few fill ups?

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 04:20:44 PM »
I had the opposite where the fuel gauge displayed a bar or two too high for one tank, with predictable consequences. It sorted itself out after the next fill up.

Offline 9w6vx

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XR 2018
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 05:06:48 AM »
I filled up my 2018 XR to the brim yesterday and funny enough the fuel gauge did not go up to full till 1.8kms later.
Normally it takes about <1km to show the actual fuel reading.

I'll see if it happens again at the next fill up.
I typically run the bike till the fuel warning light comes on and the fuel gauge showing 2 bars left before filling up to the maximum.

:125: :300:

Offline Uczbpha

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 03:39:26 PM »
Ok, spoke to my local Triumph dealer who told me the fix is to ride for between 6 and 10 miles once the fuel arming light comes on, apparently its all to do with the calculation done once there is 4 litres left, apparently it needs to see it occasionally and if you fill up consistently from half a tank you may lose one or two bars until it resets itself from reserve again.

I was sceptical but did what he said, 8 miles later the missing bar returned and range to empty increased, rode another 10 miles, filled up and gauge is showing all bars / segments. Happy days 🤪🤪

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 04:28:51 PM »
I had this happen once, it appeared to fix itself and hasn't happened again since. Probably to do with what Uczbpha said.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch