Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Deleting check light gone wrong  (Read 584 times)

Offline csaba.kovacs

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 2011
Deleting check light gone wrong
« on: September 17, 2020, 12:43:23 PM »
 :440:

Hi, so I'm in huge need of help I think i just messed my Tiger 800 2011 ECU up, not sure how I'll show my steps in details.

So, the problem currently is that the bike wont start. It did before. I had/have two check lights on, ABS and ENGINGE light on. Since my bike has no ABS i would like to deletet that, and the second one...no idea. Prior to this, the bike was in service, I had an accident...a huge truck reversed into me and I had no time to act so the whole front of the bike got destroyed. after 8 damned months the bike got back into its original shape with OEM parts, including the speedometer, like i said the two check lights were on, and it wasnt before the accident.

So here is what I did, figured I would use the 3.0 verison of TigerTool to erase the check lights, by the way, I tried the bike before this and it worked without any problem.
I connected my ELM327 bluetooth lead(see in attached):

After, having the KILLSwitch ON, I turn the key and wait for the OBD to show up on my bluetooth list on my laptop.
Few secs it shows up I connect, and open the tool, where i checked before in the device manager, COM5 and COM6, the COM6 says CANT CONNECT, and the COM5 says ECU READ ERROR. (just like it mentioned in the instructions PDF)

After this I try a couple times again, but nothing.
Figured I start the engine maybe it helps, this is where the problem starts really.
Pull the clutch in and try to ignite but nothing.
shown:

I tried to deconnect the battery and try again starting up the bike but nothing.

Now its blank with only the ABS light on:

If anyone has an idea where to start and fix this problem, would be a huge help, since here I dont really have a proper service to take to. No chance for triumph service....welcome to romania I guess.

Thank you again for reading through.
Csaba.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:48:31 PM by csaba.kovacs »

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
Re: Deleting check light gone wrong
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 04:02:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by csaba.kovacs
So, the problem currently is that the bike wont start. It did before.
Before the accident or before trying to clear the lights?

*Originally Posted by csaba.kovacs
I had/have two check lights on, ABS and ENGINGE light on. Since my bike has no ABS i would like to deletet that, and the second one...no idea.
...after 8 damned months the bike got back into its original shape with OEM parts, including the speedometer.
The engine MIL light being on when you turn the ignition on is normal until the engine starts. The ABS light would normally be flashing if it's an ABS-equipped bike, but your bike isn't so the light is static suggesting that the ABS menu option is enabled on your replacement instruments.

There's a tell-tale sign in your first video after the loud clunk when you tried to start it with the clutch pulled in - i.e. the fuel gauge is flashing whereas it was static before. This suggests that the ECU isn't sending out the correct CAN bus messages or there's a DTC or ECU error that's preventing it from starting.

The loud clunk when you try to start the bike sounds like the starter solenoid so you might want to check things in that area.

Also check your battery voltage because in the second video the display is only flashing on briefly which could be down to the low battery voltage. The switched 12V supply for the instruments comes directly from the ignition switch so the needle should sweep and the LCD go through its startup sequence, but it's obviously not doing that. A low battery voltage will also cause many other issues with insufficient power to the ECU, fuel pump, engine control (and other) relays etc. It's hard to tell from the videos but the startup sounds don't appear to be as loud as I'm used to hearing.

Finally, the ECU Read Error you saw in TigerTool implies that the ECU failed to respond to a basic 'ping' command to get a response. This could again be because the battery voltage is low so the ECU isn't running properly, or an outside chance that you may have damaged CAN bus wiring.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline csaba.kovacs

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 05:04:42 PM »
Before the accident or before trying to clear the lights?

Worked before the accident too, and after the service was done aswell, I did exactly 5 km with the bike. Before clearing the lights the bike was sitting for about 6 days.

The engine MIL light being on when you turn the ignition on is normal until the engine starts. The ABS light would normally be flashing if it's an ABS-equipped bike, but your bike isn't so the light is static suggesting that the ABS menu option is enabled on your replacement instruments.

Can this be disabled with TigerTool, or just simply on the instrument with the buttons? (sorry for noob questions I've owned this bike for 10 days when the accident happend..)

Also check your battery voltage because in the second video the display is only flashing on briefly which could be down to the low battery voltage. The switched 12V supply for the instruments comes directly from the ignition switch so the needle should sweep and the LCD go through its startup sequence, but it's obviously not doing that. A low battery voltage will also cause many other issues with insufficient power to the ECU, fuel pump, engine control (and other) relays etc. It's hard to tell from the videos but the startup sounds don't appear to be as loud as I'm used to hearing.

Hmmm, now that you mention, the guys in the service installed a new battery in since the one i had they say died, i think it was the original lasted for many many years I guess, however, I quote 'new' since I cant confirm its fully charged, thats why I havent even thought it could be caused by low voltage. It will be my first thing to check and comeback with the result. Thanks!!

Finally, the ECU Read Error you saw in TigerTool implies that the ECU failed to respond to a basic 'ping' command to get a response. This could again be because the battery voltage is low so the ECU isn't running properly, or an outside chance that you may have damaged CAN bus wiring.

Well the front cables were cut by the accident so could easily suffered damage/shortage but they were replaced. However, how these CAN bus wiring could be diagnosed if the problem persist?

Some guy i know(worked at Yahama service) said the engine light would be gone if I were to ride the bike around a bit?!

Thanks!

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 06:54:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by csaba.kovacs [+]
... I quote 'new' since I cant confirm its fully charged, thats why I havent even thought it could be caused by low voltage. It will be my first thing to check and comeback with the result. Thanks!!

I would definitely put it on charge from your description. Most batteries today are advertised as 'charged ready to fit/go' but I never fit or use a new battery without putting it on charge first and they always take hours of charge before showing fully charged .... they fully charge on manufacture but inevitably that 'charged' battery then sits on the dealers shelf for some time before being sold.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 01:06:42 PM »
The headlights are part of the starter circuit so you need them plugged in too. Hope this helps.

Offline stevedo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 07:48:48 PM »
I had exactly the same issue with mine whilst in Colombia. Parked the bike up having ridden it a few hours, went back to it a couple of hours later and battery is completely dead and displaying the same symptoms as in your video.

I've documented my experience here https://www.tiger800rtw.com/battery-woes-manizales-colombia/
Orange 800xc ABS travelling around the world. Currently in Argentina. www.tiger800rtw.com or https://www.facebook.com/Tiger800RTW/

Recent Topics