Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Indicator Switch Sticking  (Read 596 times)

Offline gjfconsult

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Indicator Switch Sticking
« on: September 19, 2020, 07:45:45 PM »
My self cancelling original Triumph switch is sticking on either side and therefore no longer cancels. I sprayed some wd40 in, but it did nothing.

Anyone experienced this? Do I just take it apart, clean and re-grease it? Will it fall apart into a million pieces and springs drop out?

Much appreciate any advice. Thanks

Graham

Offline freeware

• Tiger Pro
Re: Indicator Switch Sticking
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 08:11:37 PM »
Hi Graham,

I had the same issue. Cleaning helps and restores full functionality of the switch. You've got two screws from underneath (different lenghts) and the assembly opens. Switch holds on one screw - it will be easy to see what you need to dismantle and clean once you're there.

edit: I've just noticed it's the self cancelling  - above is about the standard indicators - mine is 2012.

Patrick

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 04:45:32 AM »
When, year/model did triumph start installing self cancelling indicators?

Chico

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 05:02:38 AM »
2015, but I think youll find the switch internals are the same.

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 04:43:48 PM »
My 2017 XRX doesn't seem to have self canceling turn signals. I couldn't find any reference to that subject in my owners handbook. :006:

Chico

Offline Mav

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 05:42:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
My 2017 XRX doesn't seem to have self canceling turn signals. I couldn't find any reference to that subject in my owners handbook. :006:

Chico

My 2017 Xrx does. And its in the owners manual. Perhaps its not available in all countrys??
2017 XRx
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 05:47:35 PM »
Unless it is something the US market doesn't allow (can't see why they would) then maybe (if like my 2015) they are simply switched off in the bikes menu (time, abs/tc, units, etc.). Scroll through and have a look.  :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 06:00:20 PM »
From the UK owner's manual:

To disable or enable the self-cancelling function; with the motorcycle stationary and in neutral, press and release the SET button on the left hand switch housing until SEtUP is visible in the display screen.

Press and release the SCROLL button until Ind is visible in the display screen.

Press and release the SET button and Auto or MAnUAL will flash on and off.

Press and release the SCROLL button to select Auto or MAnUAL then press the SET button.

Auto The self-cancelling function is on (see page 65).
MAnUAL The self-cancelling function is off. The direction indicators must be manually cancelled (see page 65).
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 01:55:15 AM »
Thank you tauzero. I found the instructions on page 42 of my owner's manual, don't know how I missed it. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Chico

Offline gjfconsult

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 02:32:50 PM »
I have now fixed my auto cancel indicator. I thought I would share details for other novices as it was very simple. Mine is a XRT so it has hand guards which need to be loosend to free stuff up. Here are the step by step picture guide

Hope that works. If it doesn't

(1) undo the two crosshead nuts on the indicator housing
(2) seperate the housing
(3) undo the two screws holding the rocker switch to allow acess to the central screw that holds the rocker swictch in place
(4) undo the central screw which will free the rocker switch. You can now clean both the rocker, the white plastic structure and the spring bearing. Lubricate and refit the whole lot. (the spring is held in place under the copper piece shown in the pic.

Enjoy....

Recent Topics

winded-staunch