Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fog Light Fault  (Read 431 times)

Offline Ponch101

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800Xrx Low
Fog Light Fault
« on: September 20, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »
I have a problem,  I have a warning that has come up on the screen,
FOG LIGHT FAULT, Check Manual, 1/1, Warning.
The thing is that I don't have factory Fog Lights fitted,  I have my own ones that I fitted but they are working fine.
I hope someone can help, Thanks. Ponch101

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Fog Light Fault
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 10:40:21 PM »
On the recent models there is a relay socket which is available for optional fog lamps. It is controlled by the fog light pushbutton on the left hand switch group. Assuming yours came without fog lights, when a relay is first inserted the ECU will detect the resistance ( nominal 100 to 200 ohms) of the relay coil and remember that. If that resistance is removed, a fault is logged and indicated. How did you configure your aftermarket lights?
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Ponch101

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 04:05:12 PM »
Hi Chuckxc,  Thanks for getting back to me,  The Fog lights I purchased off ebay they are not Triumph originals, I connected them by wiring to the battery, one to a live feed Cable and the other to Negative. I hope this helps, I've just looked again and it still reads a Fog Light fault.  Ponch101.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 10:33:37 PM »
Is it correct to assume then that your aftermarket lights are wired completely independent of the OEM fog light circuitry, including OEM relay socket and OEM switch?

If so, then the only way I can think of that caused the fault is if you did some  other wiring, eitherly intentionly or by accident, that made a connection to the OEM fog light circuit.
I ask this because the only way I was able to cause a fog light fault was as I decsribed in my last post.

If there was an accidential connection, the fault should clear itself after 3 run cycles, or alternatively you could try to clear it yourself with one of the OBD2 tools.

Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Ponch101

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 12:00:25 PM »
Hi Chuckxc.   My fog lights are wired completely independent and I haven't done any other wiring, I might phone up the Triumph Dealer and just ask a question about this, Thanks for all your input. Ponch101

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 12:54:14 PM »
Inspect the Triumph aux light plug. As Chuck says the ecu remembers the increase in resistance when the relay is connected. You could also have an increase in resistance with crud connecting pins together in the plug.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 11:10:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ponch101 [+]
I have a problem,  I have a warning that has come up on the screen,
FOG LIGHT FAULT, Check Manual, 1/1, Warning.
The thing is that I don't have factory Fog Lights fitted,  I have my own ones that I fitted but they are working fine.
I hope someone can help, Thanks. Ponch101

This is a known issue and is covered by Technical Bulletin 188.

Step 1) As you don't have fog lights fitted, check under the seat to see if the fog light relay is fitted. If it's fitted, remove it then proceed to step 2.

Step 2) Navigate to the Main Menu in the instruments and follow the instructions to RESET TO DEFAULTS as detailed in the owner's manual.

Hope that sorts it for you.

(See the attached for the full info)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:18:44 AM by T800XC »

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Ponch101

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 12:13:11 PM »
I would just like to say a big Thank You to all those that responded to my question, especially to T800XC, your answer solved my problem and the Fog Light Fault is no longer. ( Navigate to main menu and Reset to Default ).
( The Servicing Spanner comes on but I am due a service soon so they will remove that. ) Thanks, Ponch101

Recent Topics