Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Polarity of OEM fog lights for 900 GT?  (Read 164 times)

Offline DFW900GTRider

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT
Polarity of OEM fog lights for 900 GT?
« on: September 21, 2020, 05:41:31 AM »
Does anyone know if fog light polarity maters?

I bought a set of used OEM fogs (with the mounting bar) - but they had their wires cut when they were uninstalled. :(

So - I will replace the connectors on both light and bike side... the problem is:

From bike side, OEM fog light connectors, each connector has two black wires coming into the connector.

From fog light side, one of the wires is white, and one is black.

Does polarity matter here? I don't quite understand how this CAN bus system works so I don't know if polarity matters, and if there is a way to find it safely, if it does? Even thought - and I could be misunderstanding this - the fact that each side has only two wires, might mean they are not CAN lights just regular LEDs?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 05:44:20 AM by DFW900GTRider »

Offline DFW900GTRider

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT
Re: Polarity of OEM fog lights for 900 GT?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 05:15:15 PM »
As it turns out, this is NOT the issue.

My original premise was that bike-side there are two black wires going into the connector. As it turns out, it is one black and one dark purple. Black being a universal negative - well, that makes it easier...

So - watch 3 times, I guess!

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: Polarity of OEM fog lights for 900 GT?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 05:23:52 PM »
Black is definitely the ground or -ve side of the battery throughout. The same applies to the fog lights in general with white being the +ve supply. And, of course, with any semiconductor device, the polarity matters!

I'm not sure to what extend a CANBUS is used on the 900 but it would only be there to sense a failed light. That sensing could in principle be done on the harness side of the fog light connector leaving two wires going to the light. In general, you would need a CANBUS LED light if a CANBUS is used but, in this case, I don't think it is and so a non-CANBUS LED fog light is needed.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Recent Topics