Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: tiger 900 GT Pro New Member  (Read 484 times)

Offline 1tiger4me

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
tiger 900 GT Pro New Member
« on: September 23, 2020, 02:53:10 AM »

High folks, been lurking here since I saw my brother in law's 2012 Tiger 800 in about 2013. I live in Tennessee just west of Knoxville so lots of good roads around here.

I bought  it at the end of May and had the dealer install all the mods (See photo). Lower crash bars, top box, side cases and the Clearwater Erica lights so as to be seen. Its my first new bike since I first started to ride in the 1970s with  RE Continental GT, BSA lightening then in the 80's an '82 Suzuki GS1000G. Bought a '74 Norton 850 in the late eighties and brought it to the states with me. Had that for a long while but family commitments made it difficult so sold that a while ago.

So with that history how does the 900 compare to those old bike? Well!! no comparison of course.

Pros

Wow no comparison on the braking dept. The 900 has really good feel and stopping power plus or course the somewhat idiot proof anti-locks. This along with phenomenal tire improvements that seem to defy physics. Radial tires were the distant goal not the choice back 30 plus years.
 12V electrics plus computer control. Who remembers the 'uncle Joe Lucas' electrics? (Prince of darkness) with candles (or may as well be) for lighting.  If the Erica lights we incandescent and not LED then they would melt Reliant Robins at 100 yards. (look up Top Gear episode-which by the way is all true).
Reasonable weight for engine size. Easily 150lb less than the GS I had with about the same power.
Compression and rebound damping control, wow. (before I was happy the the fork seals did not leak never mind electronic damping and preload(back).
Great handling that you can do a lot more than just aim in the general direction you want to go although the Commando was good with all components in good condition.
As for vibes, well nothing has broken, fallen off or so blurry you can't see what you are doing so what's all the fuss.

cons

Too much electronic stuff  to fiddle with. When finally pairing the phone and the Triumph navigation app. It still gives the wrong part of the day AM or PM destination estimate. I have a Shoie modular helmet with the SENA built in radio. The helmet is great but the SENA has 1970s quality feel about it with poor sound and a deafening noise in place of a civilized ring if someone calls you. Then if you do get a call the Triumph app. stops giving directions.
Poor rev counter display. Many reviewers have commented the same but I can live with it. It has a rev limiter so don't need to be that observant for the odd occasion I go that far and be way over the speed limit.
Seat foam sinks flat after about 45 mins so bought an Airhawk cushion to help. Never had that problem on seats with actual springs despite their poor shape. Of course it could be me just getting older (and I admit a little heavier).

Overall I am really happy with the bike as I would with so many other good offerings but it hard to beat the Triumph past and this bikes all around capability for one or two with or without luggage.

Be safe.

(PS sorry can't get the photo to take even though I think I follwed the instructions).

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: tiger 900 GT Pro New Member
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 07:06:03 AM »
Hi mate and welcome.

Thanks for the thorough intro  :017:

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 08:55:38 AM »
Hi and  :401: to the forum.
Enjoy

:031:

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 09:08:30 AM »
Nice write up. I love everything about my Rally Pro but do agree with you that the blue tooth module isnt perfect. For certain things Id rather have my phone on the handlebar and directly connected to my headset. I could use voice commands to make calls and send messages and sometimes the turn by turn isnt enough and Id rather be able to see a map on the screen. But I do like a lot of the other features and on balance would rather have it.
Enjoy your bike; Im certainly loving mine.

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '18 XRt
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 09:14:11 AM »
Hi &  :401: enjoy  :152: :031:
From '61>present - '57 BSA C12, RE C/Sports, '59 Tiger 110, '61 T120R, '57 BMW R50, '76 GT185, '69 T120, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, '05 Sprint1050 & '08 Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, SprintGT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & '12 Bonne, '15 XRx,'18 XRt

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 09:33:30 AM »
Hi and :401:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline TIger Lad

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT PRO
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 10:01:59 AM »
Hi and :401: to the family.  :031:
No matter how bad your day is your BIKE will always make you feel better.

Offline Jarse

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Rally Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 02:03:26 PM »
Great and amusing write up, thanks 😊

Enjoy the bike and the forum. Ride safe 🏍😎

Offline Whoa

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 08:49:46 AM »
Hello and welcome, thanks for the review
Whoa

Offline Daveyboy66

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 05:56:45 PM »
Hello and welcome. Ive also just joined the forum. I have just purchased a tiger 800 xrt over the gt pro. I agree with your comments. Way too vibey for me and I also found the screen useless and the tft too fussy. We will all have various views on this but for those reasons I had to walk away. However, what I will say is I found bike amazing to ride and very well balanced under motorway speeds. A good looker too. Unfortunately I do a daily commute on the M5 and all those horrid memories of my previous Harleys came back so not for me.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch