Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XC Handlebars  (Read 556 times)

Offline jamesonhurst

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
XC Handlebars
« on: September 26, 2020, 02:16:21 PM »
Hi guys,

I picked up my 2012 800XC yesterday and so far, I'm loving it! Only slight issue is the handlebar width. Obviously I knew prior to buying it that the handlebars would be wider than my previous bike (Honda CBF600) but it makes getting through some of the tighter gaps in London traffic a bit challenging.

I'm planning on using the bike mainly for London commuting but a bit of gentle green laning too. Has anyone swapped their bars at all? I was thinking of seeing if the bars from an XR would work or whether I could cut and inch of each side?!

Any help welcome...

Cheers!

Offline jamesonhurst

• Tiger Cub
Re: XC Handlebars
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 09:12:56 PM »
Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 10:01:55 PM »
I put XR handle bars on my XCX. I did that more due to the angle of my wrists than the width. The difference is very small but enough to fix my issue. Theyre only narrower by a very small amount - cant recall exactly but maybe 1-2 cm. The swap is straightforward and has the advantage over anything aftermarket of accomodating the bar end fittings and having all the lug holes etc in the appropriate places.
You could have a look at Street Scrambler bars as an alternative but I think the placement of the lugs for the controls will be a bit different and Im not sure of the dimensions, although Im pretty sure theyre shorter - I can measure mine if you want.
Street or Speed Triple bars could be another option. Pop into a Dealership and have a look if you can - I can measure our Street Triple bars too if you like..

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 03:04:26 AM »
I fitted Explorer bars to my 15 XC and the bend and wrist angle are sooo much better than the standard bars. Sat on a few bikes at the dealers and tried to get a feel for the different bends but without taking out an allen key and adjusting its kinda hard to tell.

I did a fitting post here under why you want Explorer bars.

I had already cut my XC bars down about 15mm (same reason for filtering) and fitted Barkbusters and whilst I had Rox bar risers I just couldnt get a comfortable position.

Long story short, the Explorer bars are a great bend and really comfortable and there are numerous people on the forum who have now done the same and list it as one of their best mods. BUT they are wider than the std XC bars and there is NO room to be able to shorten them as they use ever bit of the end section for the cluster and controls.

So take really good measurements of the room you need before you go buying bars as you dont have much room and you may not gain much ?

FWIW I looked at a number of aftermarket bars (when I had mine stripped) and the Triumph bars are narrower in the centre valley, the aftermarket ones are boarder through the centre and are therefore much wider on the outer perch.

Overall I have accepted that the comfort level of the set back to be more important than say saving 20mm either side. This has even allowed me to remove the Rox risers !

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 04:48:12 AM »
Street Triple RS - 770mm straight across.
Street Scrambler - 820mm straight across. They have more bend/rise than the others so could give your more adjustment just by rotating but dont appear to be narrower..
(From memory my XC bars were 820mm. Cant recall what XR measured.)
For what its worth, Tiger 900 Rally Pro - 840mm. I think the GT is shorter.

My measuring so may be a bit different to stated specs.

Offline jamesonhurst

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 08:23:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aussie Tiger [+]
Street Triple RS - 770mm straight across.
Street Scrambler - 820mm straight across. They have more bend/rise than the others so could give your more adjustment just by rotating but dont appear to be narrower..
(From memory my XC bars were 820mm. Cant recall what XR measured.)
For what its worth, Tiger 900 Rally Pro - 840mm. I think the GT is shorter.

My measuring so may be a bit different to stated specs.

This is really helpful and thanks very much for the measurements! I may pop into my local dealer and sit on a couple of bikes to see what's comfortable. I don't really have an issue with the angle, it's more the overall bar width.

Thanks again!

Offline jamesonhurst

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 08:26:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
I fitted Explorer bars to my 15 XC and the bend and wrist angle are sooo much better than the standard bars. Sat on a few bikes at the dealers and tried to get a feel for the different bends but without taking out an allen key and adjusting its kinda hard to tell.

I did a fitting post here under why you want Explorer bars.

I had already cut my XC bars down about 15mm (same reason for filtering) and fitted Barkbusters and whilst I had Rox bar risers I just couldnt get a comfortable position.

Long story short, the Explorer bars are a great bend and really comfortable and there are numerous people on the forum who have now done the same and list it as one of their best mods. BUT they are wider than the std XC bars and there is NO room to be able to shorten them as they use ever bit of the end section for the cluster and controls.

So take really good measurements of the room you need before you go buying bars as you dont have much room and you may not gain much ?

FWIW I looked at a number of aftermarket bars (when I had mine stripped) and the Triumph bars are narrower in the centre valley, the aftermarket ones are boarder through the centre and are therefore much wider on the outer perch.

Overall I have accepted that the comfort level of the set back to be more important than say saving 20mm either side. This has even allowed me to remove the Rox risers !

Thanks! The bar height and angle are OK for me, it's more the overall width. I'd only like to lose a tiny bit of each side but don't want to remove too much and lose the overall feel of the bike.

Maybe cutting them down in the first instance is a good way to go. Can you remember if you cut your XC bars down by 15mm overall or removed that from each side?

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 08:59:33 AM »
I took 13mm off each end (2011 Roadie) without issue.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 09:11:45 AM »
I actually took 25 mm off each end on my XC. but fitted the Barkbusters and I think the inner screw tube for the BB mounts actually comes out maybe 5 or 10 mm.
So the effective reduction was closer to 15mm even though my actual cut was 25.

It brings your arms/wrists into a slightly better position but the angle is still harsh.
I am average height 5 foot 10ish and maybe shrinking haha.

My thread for the Explorer bars was 9 April under general Maintenance headed ... why you want to fit e bars.

The bend is so much better, so I never got to assess the roadie bars. The Explorer came up on eBay (thanks to the detective work from one of the Aust members)
So it was a no brainer based on comments from others.... like I said I have also removed my Rox risers as I felt they actually had my arms a fraction high.

Offline jamesonhurst

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 09:47:06 AM »
Cheers for all the help guys! I think I'm going to start by taking some length off each side and if that doesn't work, I'll look at some other bar options!

Final question... does anyone happen to know the torque settings for the allen bolts that hold the bar clamps down?

Recent Topics