Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Regulator/Rectifier Mystery  (Read 823 times)

Offline TriMGHD

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 15 XRX
Regulator/Rectifier Mystery
« on: September 26, 2020, 07:33:30 PM »
I'm at a loss to locate the issue with my 2015 XRX with 7k miles. All issues very similar to a faulty regulator/rectifier as discussed in that thread regarding same. Stevie P. was kind enough to guide me through some directions to take regarding a fix. I have replaced the R/F with an OEM Yamaha SHINDENGEN FH020AA. (exactly same as my original R/F. Also have a new Deltran lithium battery. Same problem exists...flickering headlight and instrument panel, Engine light, ABS light. Strange thing is that today I started it and all good until the running for about five minutes. Have checked battery and have 13.8v ignition off and steady 14.2v engine running. When flickering lights begins I get 14.2v to about 14.8v. This voltage fluctuation remains even when rpm increased to 4k rpm. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this issues? Has anyone had any issues with faulty a new R/R?

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Regulator/Rectifier Mystery
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 08:02:28 PM »
Yes it's possible to have a doa RR. Does seem to indicate once some heat has got to RR it is possibly breaking down (14.8v)
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 08:56:18 PM »
I swapped my FH012 original with a used, but genuine, FH020, and voltage went from from a range of around 13.5-14.8v with the original, to a rock solid 14.2 with the 020, if that's any help?
No flickering of lights etc.
I would suggest  putting the older battery in for a comparison.
I have no experience with the Lion batteries, but it may make a difference if its faulty in some way.
At least it would eliminate the battery as a problem?

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 11:12:02 PM »
Flickering voltage supply is typically caused by a poor connection at a connector. Your R/R output doesn't look bad based on what you wrote.
A good test to do would be to disconnect the R/R input to the battery and then run the bike on just battery. This test would confirm or eliminate the R/R.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:13:35 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Adey Bee

• Tiger Master
  • Must change that Avatar, new one is white
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 10:52:44 AM »
Ive had a RR go down on my old Tiger it fried the battery big time, was very lucky to get it out before it popped, but I had no flickering of lights instrument panel ect, The RR was replaced at dealer and never had a problem again.
Bandit 1250, Tiger 800 XC, Tiger 800 XCA, Tiger 800XRT

Offline TriMGHD

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 15 XRX
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 05:25:29 AM »
Mystery solved!!  Thanks to all for your comments. It was the Lithium Battery! I re-installed the original battery and all was is well. Thanks especially to Londonglide for the thought on battery issue. I assume that the electrons in the battery just didn't want to play nice. The Deltran lithium battery I purchased has an electronic system built in that prevents overcharge and low charge so I assume that this is where the problem lies. Maybe a conventional lithium battery would be fine. On the positive side, I did learn a lot about charging and R/R systems.
   For those interested this issue began when the check engine light came on and shortly there after the T/C and ABS lights came on. After a little research I found that could be caused by a weak battery...so my though was that this would be a great time to lighten the load some and replace it (original 2014) with a lithium battery that weighs about 10 lbs. (4.5 k) less since the prices have come down to where they are only slightly more expensive than a AGM battery. I go for a test ride and all is good for about three blocks then T/C light comes on, then goes out at a stop, then the Engine light comes and finally the ABS light. When I pull into the garage I see that the headlight and instrument are flickering. After reading several threads on this site it sounded exactly like a faulty R/R. So I order a supposed heavy duty non OEM unit...it arrives but the plugs stop about a quarter inch from being seated...fortunately they took it back and I ordered a exact replacement SHINDENGEN FH020AA R/R...same issues...so yesterday I finally reinstall the old battery after giving it a charge and walla!!...all is right again. 

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 05:37:50 AM »
 :047: Good to hear, and thanks for the feedback. There have been quite a few questions here about Lithium batteries. Your experience is good info for our forum.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 10:01:57 AM »
Glad you got it sorted. :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 12:40:04 PM »
Given the propensity for some lithium batteries to catch fire due to incorrect charging I think I would prefer to keep the extra weight and stick with tradition.
If the bike is designed for lithium from scratch it's one thing - but sticking a lithium battery in to a system designed for lead acid or gel seems to me to be an accident waiting to happen.
Motorcycling is a high risk activity to start with so I would not want to increase that risk by adding the option of flames toasting my gonads as I ride due to a battery fire  :114:
From my perspective the safest and cheapest option for me to lose weight when riding is to get rid of the extra stone I have put on myself during lockdown ! :031:

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 12:50:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shergar [+]
From my perspective the .... cheapest option for me to lose weight when riding is to get rid of the extra stone I have put on myself during lockdown ! :031:

:008: ... this is always my first thought when a member praises the virtue of their new expensive exhaust saving a couple of kilos weight over the standard dustbin. 
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch