Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Regulator/Rectifier Mystery  (Read 822 times)

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Regulator/Rectifier Mystery
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 01:19:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by TriMGHD [+]
Mystery solved!!  Thanks to all for your comments. It was the Lithium Battery! I re-installed the original battery and all was is well. Thanks especially to Londonglide for the thought on battery issue. I assume that the electrons in the battery just didn't want to play nice. The Deltran lithium battery I purchased has an electronic system built in that prevents overcharge and low charge so I assume that this is where the problem lies. Maybe a conventional lithium battery would be fine. On the positive side, I did learn a lot about charging and R/R systems.
   For those interested this issue began when the check engine light came on and shortly there after the T/C and ABS lights came on. After a little research I found that could be caused by a weak battery...so my though was that this would be a great time to lighten the load some and replace it (original 2014) with a lithium battery that weighs about 10 lbs. (4.5 k) less since the prices have come down to where they are only slightly more expensive than a AGM battery. I go for a test ride and all is good for about three blocks then T/C light comes on, then goes out at a stop, then the Engine light comes and finally the ABS light. When I pull into the garage I see that the headlight and instrument are flickering. After reading several threads on this site it sounded exactly like a faulty R/R. So I order a supposed heavy duty non OEM unit...it arrives but the plugs stop about a quarter inch from being seated...fortunately they took it back and I ordered a exact replacement SHINDENGEN FH020AA R/R...same issues...so yesterday I finally reinstall the old battery after giving it a charge and walla!!...all is right again.

Battery management system. In all probability an electronic co,ponent failing on that pcb.

I have a Shido Lithium battery YTX-16BS since April and no issues.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline TriMGHD

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 15 XRX
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 01:08:48 AM »
Just a note about removing 10 lbs from a Tiger 800. Granted putting a carbon fiber fender on a non race bike to save a few ounces is really stupid but I don't have one stone to loose as I'm 73 and weigh a little under 160 lbs.(11.3 stone). I don't know if anyone has ever had the opportunity to pick up a tiger on a desolate gravel strewn asphalt road...let me tell you "taint easy"! Removing that 10 lbs from the top of the bike would have been a great help. Anyway thanks all for the assistance. Kildare...glad to here your lithium is working out. I'll check that out in the future but for now I'm going to stick with an AGM.https://www.tiger800.co.uk/Smileys/tiger/031.gif

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 02:32:16 AM »
This is a good source for batteries in the US. https://www.batterymart.com/

Chico

Recent Topics

winded-staunch