Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suspension and setting sag  (Read 410 times)

Offline Arianta

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800
Suspension and setting sag
« on: September 27, 2020, 08:57:15 PM »
Hi there. I'm a newby and I have an early Tiger800. It has been dressed up to look like an XC with the XC rear shock and a badly fitted beak.
I'm a shorty (5' 5") and a ridiculously short inseam of 28 inches. I've fitted dog bones that have lowered the rear by 30mm and dropped the front end by 18mm to bring the trail back to the correct figure.
The rear shock has adjustment for pre-load and rebound. I've wound off the pre-load to the factory setting for a roadie but not set the rebound yet as I need a helper to check it.
I also need to set the sag for me. I've measured the free length and the static sag length and just need the helper to measure the rider sag. Then I can set that up.

I'm going to get the seat sculpted to suit me and help to get my feet more planted. I don't think I'll ever get to be flat footed, but I may get close. The seat is set at the low position by the way.
I know these things will reduce the clearance of footpegs etc, but I am well past the stage of wanting to ground everything in all the corners now!

A strange thing that I noticed is that before I altered anything  when the bike was on the centre stand, both wheels touched the ground. With what I have done so far the back wheel is about 25mm off the ground. I can get it on the centre stand OK, but it's a bit of a struggle. Not hugely so, but a struggle.
'38 Triumph 250 single, '55 Tiger cub, more BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at. '53 BSA A10, '66 Dunstall Norton 750 Atlas, 40 year break, MT07, R3, 650 Burgman, Bonnie America 865, 700 Deauville, Tiger 800. Phew!

Offline rogerpollock1966

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger800 xrx lrh
Re: Suspension and setting sag
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 11:13:24 PM »
TRIUMPH DO A LOW RIDE HEIGHT AND LOW SEAT ALSO

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 12:10:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Arianta [+]

A strange thing that I noticed is that before I altered anything  when the bike was on the centre stand, both wheels touched the ground. With what I have done so far the back wheel is about 25mm off the ground. I can get it on the centre stand OK, but it's a bit of a struggle. Not hugely so, but a struggle.

That's better even though it might be a bit of a struggle. The advantage of the centre stand is that you can get the rear wheel off the ground to easily lube the chain.
 If your wheels remain on the ground as before, you'd just use the side stand and the centre stand would be next to useless.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 09:01:20 AM »
The low seat is sh1te. Just put the standard seat on the lower position. Replace XC shock with Road shock or Road equivilent aftermarket shock.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Arianta

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 09:14:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by rogerpollock1966 [+]
TRIUMPH DO A LOW RIDE HEIGHT AND LOW SEAT ALSO

Being a poor pensioner I can't afford a new bike or even one used that has the low set up.
'38 Triumph 250 single, '55 Tiger cub, more BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at. '53 BSA A10, '66 Dunstall Norton 750 Atlas, 40 year break, MT07, R3, 650 Burgman, Bonnie America 865, 700 Deauville, Tiger 800. Phew!

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 11:20:30 AM »
One way to help get a lowered bike onto the centre stand is to roll the back wheel onto a plank so the centre stand is as close to vertical as possible before the lift. Trial and error will give you the best thickness. Once up, the plank can be removed if its in the way.

Recent Topics