Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The Dreaded 12k Service  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: The Dreaded 12k Service
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2020, 03:11:00 PM »
Many thanks for the reference. I think I'm now happy with the way the tensioner works - it looks like a simple device but is quite sophisticated in the way it works. When I turned over the engine after installing it, I couldn't understand why it was clicking and certainly didn't want to attempt to start the engine until I was sure what was going on. I can now see why it is clicking and basically everything is perfectly fine :152:
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2020, 08:41:46 AM »
Finishing the 12k service this week has somewhat slowed awaiting some new gaskets and other bits required (including Triumph HD4X coolant).

The top end of the motor has now been put back together and, with the IAT and MAP sensors from the air box connected to the harness, the engine started easily and ran sweetly without any unusual noises from the tensioner or valve gear. Before the air box was re-installed, I checked the throttle balance using TuneECU but it only needed a very small adjustment.

The tank is now bolted back in place and today the plan is to replace the coolant and the engine oil. I had previously report the engine check light coming on due to a comms problem with the ABS (fault P1521) but, having since replaced the battery, this problem appears to have gone away - fortunately!

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2020, 11:35:53 PM »
Changed the engine oil although it took more than the 3.6 L expected.

Changing the coolant proved much more challenging partly because my XCA does not have the bleed screw in the top of the radiator opposite the filler cap making expelling the trapped air more difficult. I was expecting to put back 2.4 L but only managed less than 2 L making me doubt whether all the air has been expelled. The cooling system appears to be functioning correctly but will need to fully convince myself of this tomorrow.

Once I've done that I can turn my attention to trying to remember how to re-assemble the myriad of trim pieces!

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2020, 06:58:33 PM »
The 12k service has now been completed. Although most of the service tasks were relatively straightforward, it nevertheless took a lot of man hours to complete. I doubt if I'll reach 24k with this bike but, if I did, even with the benefit of having carried out a major service before, it would still probably me take a couple of days to complete the 24k service. Total cost in parts and consumables was probably the order of 400 although this includes the costs of the new sprockets and rear chain!

Recent Topics