Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 3 800. What Goes Wrong?  (Read 1890 times)

DustyBoots, Georgeinabz, Djairouks and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
Re: Gen 3 800. What Goes Wrong?
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 04:44:22 AM »
 :418:
*Originally Posted by dragon88 [+]
A wild guess might be that I own a motorcycle repair shop and strangely, all bikes breakdown. Who knew?  :007:

Fundamentally incorrect. The last time I had a bike break down was in 2011 when my Rocket III broke a throttle cable. Since then Ive owned and sold about about 9 bikes (3 of which were far from new), including a Gen2 Tiger 800 and none of them broke down ever. I currently have 3 Triumphs in the garage and none of them have broken down. I have had one flat tyre a couple of years ago and my wife ran out of petrol once. Not all bikes brake down, but of course you will find an example of every type of bike that has broken down.

I think what weve been trying to tell you is that there are no known widespread issues with Gen 3 Tiger 800s that you can actually watch for. How many have come through your repair shop?

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 05:54:45 AM »
Eat well, exercise, you die anyway. Don't worry, just ride the thing.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 06:44:05 AM »
Hi and welcome  :017:

The Gen 3 800 is one of the most reliable modern bikes you can buy as any known issues would of been ironed out from the previous Generation models.

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 10:15:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by coddy [+]
Hi and welcome  :017:

The Gen 3 800 is one of the most reliable modern bikes you can buy as any known issues would of been ironed out from the previous Generation models.

Thanks for the welcome mate and yes, I agree. The basis of my question is in preparation for very remote (think Africa etc) use of the bike and the application of Murphys Law ;)

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 10:17:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aussie Tiger [+]
Fundamentally incorrect. The last time I had a bike break down was in 2011 when my Rocket III broke a throttle cable. Since then Ive owned and sold about about 9 bikes (3 of which were far from new), including a Gen2 Tiger 800 and none of them broke down ever. I currently have 3 Triumphs in the garage and none of them have broken down. I have had one flat tyre a couple of years ago and my wife ran out of petrol once. Not all bikes brake down, but of course you will find an example of every type of bike that has broken down.

I think what weve been trying to tell you is that there are no known widespread issues with Gen 3 Tiger 800s that you can actually watch for. How many have come through your repair shop?

Lucky you. Agree to disagree. If and when you ever do serious overland riding in extremely remote places I assure you that you will very keen on knowing what can and does go wrong with the bike you choose to take.

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 11:34:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by dragon88 [+]
Lucky you. Agree to disagree. If and when you ever do serious overland riding in extremely remote places I assure you that you will very keen on knowing what can and does go wrong with the bike you choose to take.

What makes you think Ive not done serious overland riding? The fact my bike didnt break down? Have you never looked at a map of Australia? Not everyone is Charlie Borman but unlike you no one else is pretending to be. Youre getting real life actual feedback from real people with every day experience and disagreeing with it. Seems like you only came on here so you could say you think youre better than the rest of us? Buy a Tiger or not, I really dont care. Im done.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 08:06:02 PM »
Here ya go Aussie, this boy has some good stuff to moan about.

Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 10:05:44 PM »
Hardly the point. One unhappy person having a whinge. Find me any bike where there isnt an isolated  disgruntled customer. And if I was doing some serious overland riding in extremely remote places Id hardly be too concerned about condensation in a blinker or the attitude of some dealer in England or Triumph having a Thai factory and Id have checked the seats before I left. He also gives no info on the cam chain tensioner. 2 bikes in one household? Come on. Sounds like they needed resetting and a result of a sloppy workshop rather than an actual recurring issue with the bike. That review is as useful as having an ashtray on a bike would be and the only takeout for me is not to bother with any of his reviews in future..

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 01:11:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aussie Tiger [+]
What makes you think Ive not done serious overland riding? The fact my bike didnt break down? Have you never looked at a map of Australia? Not everyone is Charlie Borman but unlike you no one else is pretending to be. Youre getting real life actual feedback from real people with every day experience and disagreeing with it. Seems like you only came on here so you could say you think youre better than the rest of us? Buy a Tiger or not, I really dont care. Im done.

Mate stop acting like a child. Just because I dont agree with you no need to spit the dummy. Your initial remark... "what makes you think things go wrong with them" is both flippant and irrelevant. I asked a legit question because of previous experiences with a Triumph and being caught several times in very challenging international locations. If that makes me a "pretender" in your eyes then it's more a reflection on you. I came on here for advice from experienced owners. If you didn't have anything to offer then why? Seems to me like you think you are the know it all.

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 01:19:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Here ya go Aussie, this boy has some good stuff to moan about.

/>

Thanks for that mate. Some valid points there. Spoke with a friend yesterday who's 18 has twice had run switches fail. Bike has under 40k klms. Apparently issues with water ingress into the switch housing.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch