Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 3 800. What Goes Wrong?  (Read 2419 times)

louthtiger, FH72, Mav and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Gen 3 800. What Goes Wrong?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2020, 07:49:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by dragon88 [+]
The intent of the thread mate was to get an insight into the issues that might arise and how they might be resolved from owners and experienced users. Not only for my benefit but I am sure the other members of the forum could also find the information helpful. It certainly wasn't intended to upset anyone. Having spent a very long time in some very inhospitable places and unfortunately experiencing some major issues with my current Triumph (none electrical) it was very important for me to have a well sorted bike and kit before we hit the road again.

An example, just yesterday I spoke with one of the top tech guys for Triumph in Asia. He absolutely recommended carrying a spare run switch as he see's this as a serious flaw in that model Triumph and one he deals with regularly. It cannot be repaired. In his words, if it fails you are screwed. If just an insight into an issue like this could help another rider not get stuck then it's a win for everyone.

A few years ago, I saw the logical conclusion of this - a Ural combo, which had as a sidecar a length of channelling being used like a motorcycle trailer, and on the channelling was an identical Ural.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2020, 04:33:39 PM »
That's planning ahead.

Offline ped

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2020, 09:23:15 PM »
put a post on road craft Nottingham video about the tiger not being reliable just said jap bikes brake down as well
and pointed out i was a bike mechanic for twenty years and i said that i had not seen any fault on a triumph that i had not seen before on any of the big four jap manufactures i have had to reset cam chain adjusters on Honda cbr 600 my next door neighbor has just had to take his bandit 650 to have the shims re adjusted {recall } he didn't like my post and deleted it.

so we are meant to have his views shoved in are face but not allowed to have views of are own 

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 12:01:39 AM »
I know a bloke who has a Tiger 800 that not only has never broken down, not even an issue with the run switch (whatever the f**k that is), it uses virtually no fuel, never needs servicing, the tyres have been on it since new (6 years), has never need to change brake pads, the seat never gives him a sore bum, theres no wind noise from the screen and service costs have been zero. In fact, all he ever does is wash it.

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 05:58:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aussie Tiger [+]
I know a bloke who has a Tiger 800 that not only has never broken down, not even an issue with the run switch (whatever the f**k that is), it uses virtually no fuel, never needs servicing, the tyres have been on it since new (6 years), has never need to change brake pads, the seat never gives him a sore bum, theres no wind noise from the screen and service costs have been zero. In fact, all he ever does is wash it.

:492: :492: :492:
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 10:07:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aussie Tiger [+]

Probably because the lightweight who owns it never rides.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 04:42:12 PM »
Woosh.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 07:13:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by ped [+]
put a post on road craft Nottingham video about the tiger not being reliable just said jap bikes brake down as well
and pointed out i was a bike mechanic for twenty years and i said that i had not seen any fault on a triumph that i had not seen before on any of the big four jap manufactures i have had to reset cam chain adjusters on Honda cbr 600 my next door neighbor has just had to take his bandit 650 to have the shims re adjusted {recall } he didn't like my post and deleted it.

so we are meant to have his views shoved in are face but not allowed to have views of are own 

Yeah japs are usually more reliable, but you're never shielded from some lemons, I sure experienced this with
my 2016 1st gen Honda Africa twin, that was in sh*t condition after 36'000Km, while 10 years of owning different
yamis and nothing bad happened.

I expect the Tiger to be far more reliable, because my Honda broke 2x rear bearing (every 18K Km), spokes
rusted, fork tubes corroded, plastics died with sunlight, engine wouldn't start on temp lower than 8C, then had
hiccups and stopped in driving intermitently, then gearbox started to get stuck on 5th.
Honda Switzerland didn't seem very concerned and rather tried to sell me a new model... that's when I switched
for a british kitten hehe.

Guess my expectations are pretty low now  :008:
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:21:19 PM by Djairouks »

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 07:36:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by hawkbox [+]
Woosh.

:492:

Online applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 08:08:45 PM »
Anecdotal evidence incoming...

Not had a single problem with my Tiger in the 15 months I've owned it, apart from a nail in the rear tyre. Can't blame that on Triumph.

Carry on.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:12:11 PM by applecorp »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch