Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain Maintenance Question  (Read 1103 times)

Offline louballs

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT
Chain Maintenance Question
« on: September 30, 2020, 01:42:38 AM »
This is my first chain driven bike, so I understand it requires more attention and maintenance. What's the easiest/best way to get the rear wheel off the ground for cleaning and lubing? I don't have a garage, so I cant store any large equipment. What do you all successfully use?

Online rubbertoe

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 xca
Re: Chain Maintenance Question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 02:19:13 AM »
I use a center stand. Would not want a bike without one.

Offline louballs

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 02:32:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by rubbertoe [+]
I use a center stand. Would not want a bike without one.

Ok, never had a bike with one before as I've just owned cruisers. Looks like the Triumph one is 199. I think I'll place an order.

Online rubbertoe

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 xca
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 02:45:49 AM »
Wish I could tell you where to shop for one, I think you might get one for forty or so dollars less. Try searching here. I did not mind jacking up my Harleys for maintenence even though they had belt drive, I still did it for the 3 hole oil changes. Mind you my 2019 Xca is so hard to get up onto the center stand I use an inch thick block of wood under the rear tire like some other folks here do. I think the XRs and older XCAs are easier than the 3rd gen Tigers. Good luck, maybe ebay?

Offline louballs

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 02:53:43 AM »
I just ordered it through triumphs website. Ebay was more expensive and Hepcko's was 299. Not sure what the difference is though for the extra 100 bucks.

*Originally Posted by rubbertoe [+]
Wish I could tell you where to shop for one, I think you might get one for forty or so dollars less. Try searching here. I did not mind jacking up my Harleys for maintenence even though they had belt drive, I still did it for the 3 hole oil changes. Mind you my 2019 Xca is so hard to get up onto the center stand I use an inch thick block of wood under the rear tire like some other folks here do. I think the XRs and older XCAs are easier than the 3rd gen Tigers. Good luck, maybe ebay?

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 05:14:35 AM »
an alternative is to fit bobbins to the swingarm and use a paddock stand

must admit I struggled with the 2019 XCa centre stand to the point where I ditched it completely and use the paddock stand to do chain maintenance

when I need to get the rear off the ground to do emergency repairs on the road, I use the side stand and any sizeable boulder/piece of wood under the right-hand side of the bike under the footpeg mounting
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 05:50:07 AM »
Like others on the site, I've found it easiest to roll the rear wheel onto a block of wood an then use the center stand as normal. I cut a piece of scrap wood with taper to use as a little ramp at home.  Use it to lower as well. On the trail any rock will do. Plenty of those around!
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline louballs

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 05:54:18 AM »
Thanks for the tip! Got plenty of scrap wood laying around.

*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
Like others on the site, I've found it easiest to roll the rear wheel onto a block of wood an then use the center stand as normal. I cut a piece of scrap wood with taper to use as a little ramp at home.  Use it to lower as well. On the trail any rock will do. Plenty of those around!

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 06:17:44 AM »
The centre stand that comes standard on the Rally Pro and GT Pro models is a huge improvement over the 800. By that I mean its takes a LOT less effort to get the bike up. Cant speak for the aftermarket offerings but theyre unlikely to be any better.

Offline louballs

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 01:47:28 PM »
Good to know. I ordered the Triumph one so I imagine it's the same.

*Originally Posted by Aussie Tiger [+]
The centre stand that comes standard on the Rally Pro and GT Pro models is a huge improvement over the 800. By that I mean its takes a LOT less effort to get the bike up. Cant speak for the aftermarket offerings but theyre unlikely to be any better.

Recent Topics