Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 900 Explorer Top Box  (Read 374 times)

Offline fastnfat

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
Tiger 900 Explorer Top Box
« on: September 30, 2020, 06:35:04 PM »
Anyone who has a sliding carriage fitted to their 900 might want to check the tightness of the latching thingy. I was in Mid Wales a few weeks ago and came adrift and the top box parted company with the bike. Fortunately no one else involved but the box really looked the worse for wear.

Tiger 900 GT Pro
Ducati Monster 1100 EVO

Offline 1tiger4me

• Tiger Cub
Re: Tiger 900 Explorer Top Box
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 10:07:27 PM »

Wow so the black hard rubber stop came adrift from the plate and the 2 bolts went missing in the process?

Sorry to see that! These are expensive pieces never mind the safety aspect falling off on the road. Does the dealer put the stop on or does it come from the box that way? Anyone know? Either way I think you should contact the dealer to see if they will give you an new box and maybe plate to go with it.

I just checked mine and they are tight but I've only got 1500 miles so far. Definitely keep and eye on them now.

Thanks for posting this.

Offline Adey Bee

• Tiger Master
  • Must change that Avatar, new one is white
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 04:11:51 AM »
Thanks very much for the post will check mine and my mates asap, this is bad!
Bandit 1250, Tiger 800 XC, Tiger 800 XCA, Tiger 800XRT

Offline fastnfat

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 05:51:04 PM »
I initially tried to purchase the part but Triumph dont list the part but Giivi do for about 18. Then I came to my senses  and spoke to the dealer I bought it from who were also very surprised to hear what happened. They took some photos and I supplied a statement and a few days later a brand new box and sliding carriage was delivered to the dealer and fitted to my bike. So no complaints from me in that regard and a big thumbs up for Blade Triumph in Stratford upon Avon for sorting it so quickly.
As for potential consequences it could have been a whole lot worse, 30 minutes earlier we were travelling on the A483 at a rapid pace and I dread to think what might have happened with a lot more traffic about. As it was, I was only moving at about 20mph on a virtually deserted minor road!
Tiger 900 GT Pro
Ducati Monster 1100 EVO

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 06:41:11 PM »
Was the latching thingy still inside the socket in the box?

Offline 1tiger4me

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 06:47:03 PM »
FastNFat (mmm... that could be me now)

Glad to hear the dealer came through so the only question for us in the Tiger/Triumph community is who tightened the bolts? Givi at the factory or the dealer. If the dealer then likely just related to the dealer if the factory then there could be others out there too.

PS the photos seem to indicate that the right was loose first with pivoting movement around the left causing hole wear before the left came undone and the loss of retention.

Offline fastnfat

• Tiger Pro
Re: Tiger 900 Expedition Top Box
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 10:12:30 PM »
Yes I think you are correct about the RH bolt coming loose first, the hole was slightly elongated. I believe the sliding carriage is assembled by the factory(Givi I would think). Ive used similar equipment by the same manufacturer on three previous T800s covering about 60k miles and never had a problem with those so hopefully it was a one off.
And to answer Taulpaul, no the missing bit wasnt inside the box, it was the first place I looked, but couldnt find it anywhere nor in the vicinity of where the box landed.
All my mates were in front of me and didnt see it happen so they just buggered off oblivious to it 😂. With no way of securing it I then had to balance it on the pillion seat for about 20 miles to Brecon where they were waiting for me! There I was able to borrow a couple of bungees to hold it on.
Tiger 900 GT Pro
Ducati Monster 1100 EVO

Recent Topics

winded-staunch