Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2 Questions  (Read 592 times)

Offline Miles Prower

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 900 xrx
2 Questions
« on: October 02, 2020, 02:49:05 AM »
I've just bought a 2016 tiger 800 xrx, so far i love it... however when selecting Rain mode for example,  how do I know it's actually in Rain mode?
Also when chaining your bikes up for safe keeping where do you normally run the chain through as the swing arm would seem pointless and there doesn't appear to be any reasonable frame space?

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: 2 Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 06:23:17 AM »
Hi and welcome.

As my bike is garaged I chain up through the front wheel but being in London I would expect you would like to find a immovable object to chain through. Hopefully someone will come along and advise.

Rain mode you will find lacks the initial drive in acceleration when you crack the throttle open compared to Road mode but it does give a little extra engine braking I discovered recently.

Offline matt748

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRX
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 07:08:23 AM »
Hi and welcome!
I cant fit my chain through the frame so it goes through the rear wheel. Not great, but better than nothing.
Rain mode is pre set as one of your Rider modes. The Rider mode can be set as Sport, Rain, as well as different traction control and ABS settings.
This will then show as Rider on the dash (instead of Road or Off Road. As mentioned, youll also feel a slight difference in throttle response.

Offline Miles Prower

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 09:49:59 AM »
Thanks guys, yeah I've chained it through the back wheel and centre stand when In the garage..
So when selecting Rider mode, you go through the Map options confirming abs and traction settings, once that's done is rain mode indefinitely set on rider mode until you go on and redo the above for sport etc? Would be useful if it indicated "Rain" on the dash

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 10:19:50 AM »
Just went and checked my 2017 XRT and yes it's in the Rider settings - have to say its far from being an intuitive method to set it up.
I rarely bother to change it so had to remind myself - but as I am riding from Northampton to near Boston for Clive Wood to service my bike tomorrow morning - and the forecast is heavy rain all the way - it was an appropriate prompt to go and check it.

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 12:47:54 PM »
Couldnt you chain it through the rear foot peg mount?
A friend of mine also chained his centre stand (on a T120) tightly to his front wheel so that the bike couldnt be dropped off the stand, locked the steering and would put a disc lock on the rear brake.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 01:04:11 PM »
I guess some of it depends on what chain you have. I have an Abus Granite where there is a larger link on one end and the standard link goes through it to offer minimal access to the lock hasp. Although the pic includes looping through the ground anchor (my bike lives outdoors unfortunately) this is how I do it when I go away. With the bike on the centre stand I pass it through the front engine bars one end and the other end once (or twice if possible) through and around the centre stand and then put the large link down through the rear brake pedal and connect and lock. I basically feed it so as much as possible there is no slack in the chain. In theory they could remove the bars, brake pedal and centre stand but I doubt they would be that interested in that much effort for a 5yr old bike.  :027:

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Miles Prower

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 02:32:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Aussie Tiger [+]
Couldnt you chain it through the rear foot peg mount?
A friend of mine also chained his centre stand (on a T120) tightly to his front wheel so that the bike couldnt be dropped off the stand, locked the steering and would put a disc lock on the rear brake.

I think my chain is too big to get through,  I'll have another look when I get back... good idea re front wheel and centre stand 👌

Offline Miles Prower

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 02:34:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I guess some of it depends on what chain you have. I have an Abus Granite where there is a larger link on one end and the standard link goes through it to offer minimal access to the lock hasp. Although the pic includes looping through the ground anchor (my bike lives outdoors unfortunately) this is how I do it when I go away. With the bike on the centre stand I pass it through the front engine bars one end and the other end once (or twice if possible) through and around the centre stand and then put the large link down through the rear brake pedal and connect and lock. I basically feed it so as much as possible there is no slack in the chain. In theory they could remove the bars, brake pedal and centre stand but I doubt they would be that interested in that much effort for a 5yr old bike.  :027:

That looks pretty robust...I've got a Pragmasis 19mm chain, but no engine bars, were they pricey to fit?

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 03:26:24 PM »
I had the bars fitted at PDI (5yrs ago) so no real idea on the price. Is your chain long enough and bare or have a non-melting / heat resistant cover. If so you could do similar but possibly pass it around the exhaust pipes somewhere?  :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics