Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lock down performance issues BE AWARE  (Read 900 times)

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
Lock down performance issues BE AWARE
« on: October 05, 2020, 01:21:22 AM »
Just sharing a serious issue that I experienced yesterday.

Have only been able to get occasional casual work since isolation came into force in Australia back in March.

I figure the last time I fueled the XC would have been maybe February. Yeah been around the block and done a Oil change/ service but no real riding.

Got a days casual work yesterday.... started off on the Freeway, then major arterial etc through the City to my work site.

Bike running okay on acceleration and cruise (so I thought) but noticeably flat when de accelerating coming up to lights and occasionally a low idle which I had to blip the throttle. Never had a low idle situation.

The Fuel light came on just before I got to work but still had plenty right.

Leaving work it stopped DEAD coming off the throttle in third to second maybe 15 mins into the trip coming up to some lights... tried bump starting but to slow/locked the rear. Pushed to the side of the road out of the traffic, very fortunate that it was a Sunday and we are still in iso...checked the vitals .. no error messages, re started okay

Feeling pretty nervous at this stage so headed for the nearest servo and pulling up to do a right hand turn into the servo through the traffic and it stopped again! Pushed it to the pump, then put in $10 of 95 Octane.

Cautiously/nervously pulled out into the traffic and beyond and thank goodness it was back to its old self !!!!! Was a different bike.

Can only conclude that the last 5 to 8 ltrs of that tank had started to go off ????

Normally just run 91 Oct from the brand name sites and never had any issues. Will now put in maybe 100ml of methylated spirits in case I now have some moisture ?? in the tank as well.

So GUYS, general warning coming out of long periods of no riding / isolation. Top your bikes up with new fuel and get some mileage on and do a refill asap.

Hey, you guys who do Winter hibernation's, what do you do when you don't ride for 6 mths or more?

Have often heard that running 95 or 98 fuel is better for storage times but this is a pretty unique situation for me.... glad we are not forced to use E10 or derivatives yet.

(damn, may need to drain the Bandit tank now, even though I put in some fuel stabilizer and disconnected the Battery - it has sat for the whole period)

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
Re: Lock down performance issues BE AWARE
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 03:11:03 AM »
Hi Newhorizons, the octane is irrelevant for storage. High octane fuel is the same as low octane except for additives to prevent pre-ignition on higher compression engines. Tiger 800 is happy with the lesser octane.
As far as storage is concerned, most of us in the cold winter latitudes :190: fill the fuel tank, add stabilizer and run the engine to get the fuel into the system, a mile or two will do if you can ride, if not then a ten minute idle is all you need. On my carbureted bikes I then drain them.
 I keep my HD Fatboy in Florida and visit her once a year for the month of February. The rest of the year 11 months she just sits there patiently waiting for my return. I've done this for 10 years and she starts every time like an electric motor.
Good luck and hopefully you come out of lockdown soon. :031:

Chico

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 11:50:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
the octane is irrelevant for storage. High octane fuel is the same as low octane except for additives to prevent pre-ignition on higher compression engines.
Chico
Not strictly true - there are two different measurements for Octane number - MON and RON. In the UK the rating you see at the pump is the RON (Research or Road Octane Number) - to achieve different Octane numbers the proportion of different elements of fuel will differ - so a higher RON will tend to have more of the higher number aromatic fuel components (Benzene, Toluene etc) - it tends to be these that evaporate first when fuel sits for a while which can lead to some starting or running issues.
Fuel that is left for a while will also tend to have a higher gum content than fresh fuel - primarily due to the fact that while the more volatile elements evaporate the gum stays - fresh fuel obviously help dilute the gum content back down - gum is a negative in the smooth running of an engine in terms of both the carburation (injection) system and the valves - most fuels have a cleaner that helps to prevent this from sticking though.
Both MON and RON have an impact on anti knock properties and thermal efficiency of a fuel along with any additives that are used to boost it - I used to work at a fuel and engine research labfor the company that made lead alkyls for petrols - long since gone in most parts of the world - the US company was Ethyl Corporation leading to one of the great bad jokes of the era - fill her up Ethyl (Ethel) - someone must remember that.

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: FZ1N, XJR1300
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 07:05:01 PM »
I do the same as Tiger Jedi. the ethanol in the fuel is pulling moisture out of the air and also rusting tanks. fuel starts to turn after 2 to 3 weeks. I always put fuel stabilizer in my bikes if I think they may be left more than 4 weeks. It cheap and worth the money. I only put the best fuel in 97 and always keep bikes full up and the stabilizer when needed to be safe.  I am seeing more and more bikes with rusty tanks after being left with half a tank of fuel over a winter. Just stripped a mint bike with only 21.000 miles on it and the inside of the tank was full of rust. Not good.
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 04:30:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
Hi Newhorizons, the octane is irrelevant for storage. High octane fuel is the same as low octane except for additives to prevent pre-ignition on higher compression engines. Tiger 800 is happy with the lesser octane.
As far as storage is concerned, most of us in the cold winter latitudes :190: fill the fuel tank, add stabilizer and run the engine to get the fuel into the system, a mile or two will do if you can ride, if not then a ten minute idle is all you need. On my carbureted bikes I then drain them.
 I keep my HD Fatboy in Florida and visit her once a year for the month of February. The rest of the year 11 months she just sits there patiently waiting for my return. I've done this for 10 years and she starts every time like an electric motor.
Good luck and hopefully you come out of lockdown soon. :031:

Chico

This is what I do, some Stabilizer and a batter tender are all you really need at a basic level. Of course a full tank makes all that winter maintenance in the garage tons of fun to do when removing the tank.

I would definitely say any time you're running a tank that has sat for any length of time to take it easy until you've burned the old gas off, 300km or so should also be enough to get some of the rust off you too. ;)

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: FZ1N, XJR1300
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 09:42:35 PM »
Was at a garage today that I know well. They had a bmw 1200 in that would not start.
Long story short tank was full of rust and the fuel pump was rusted to hell. Bike only had 16000 miles and was in mint condition.
Had not been used for around 11 months.
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Recent Topics

winded-staunch