Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Misfire on newish bike - balance carbs first or check ignition coil assembly?  (Read 722 times)

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Hello folks, wondered whether I could tap you for your experience please for a Tiger 800 XRT first registered 22/08/2019 and which I bought on 13/02/2020 with 748 miles on it. The ODO now shows 3400 miles odd.

The pictures show carburettor balance using Tigertool.

28th August 2020

4th October 2020

I feel that my bike is developing a progressively worse misfire. Evidence for this is: (i) a faltering performance particularly when cruising in third or fourth gear at any revs between about 2500 rpm and 4000 rpm (ii) erratic rev counter reading at idle (iii) Intermittent stalling when pulling away.  The above two pictures show the carburettor balance on the dates shown. I have the following questions, as shown below:-

(1) (This is probably for T800XC). The cylinder numbers are shown C1,C2 & C3 on the balance cylinder print out......as you sit on the bike is C1 the left hand pot, C2 the middle pot and C3 the right hand pot?

(2) Given that the balance on cylinder C3 seems to be getting progressively worse, am I better trying to rebalance the carburettors first or searching for another reason for the misfire first? Have perused the forum extensively, it would seem to me that either (a) there is a suspect ignition coil (pack) or (b) there is a problem with the interface between carburettor manifold and engine block possibly letting air in.

Thanks for any insight you can give on this.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 06:23:30 AM by Thripster »

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Check for air leaks on the inlet manifolds (or whatever they call them now)
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 800
Should that not be a "back to the dealer" issue???

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
*Originally Posted by mcinlb [+]
Should that not be a "back to the dealer" issue???
I agree - on a late 2019 bike I would not be attempting to do this myself - if it has a fault a main dealer should resolve.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
*Originally Posted by Thripster [+]

(1) (This is probably for T800XC). The cylinder numbers are shown C1,C2 & C3 on the balance cylinder print out......as you sit on the bike is C1 the left hand pot, C2 the middle pot and C3 the right hand pot?

Correct.

From the service manual...

Cylinder numbering: Left to Right (no.3 adjacent to camshaft drive chain)
Cylinder Sequence:  Number 1 at left

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
I agree .... contact the dealer. It could be simple bad ajustment,  bad sensor(s), manifold leaks as has been reported here, or other?

The 1st time I used Tigertool, years ago, these were my cold engine readings.

These were recently beta testing v3 where I rode the bike until normal working temperature first before running Tigertool ....
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
Thanks a lot folks......I'll speak to the dealer.

Regards

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
Chuntering at idle
/>
Chuntering at 2000 rpm or so
/>
Throttle balance after warming bike for fifteen minutes
/>

Composed a previous post which seems to have disappeared, so here it is again. Emailed Muddy Sump wrt to throttle balance and he asked whether I had warmed the bike properly. Balance check picture after fifteen minutes is a lot better (I had only run for about five minutes previously - stupid me) but note that whilst running the image is repeatedly changing from balance to out of balance.

So asking those with much more experience than me whether you would consider these characteristics as normal - feels 'faltery' to me?

Note that links do not appear to be working but will if you paste them into your browser by clicking on the video thumbnail, right clicking and choosing 'Copy video URL'
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 10:48:11 AM by Thripster »

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
Made a right horlicks, in the one hour editing time available, of trying to get the previous shots to work properly, so please ignore that and look at this instead  Have no idea why these videos will not play by clicking on the thumbnail......work around shown in bold at the bottom. Sorry. (I think it is because I didn't choose the option 'Thumbnail link')

Chuntering at idle

/>
Chuntering at 2000rpm or so

/>

Balance after 15 minutes running

https://photos.tiger800.co.uk/image/dFOUA

Composed a previous post which seems to have disappeared, so here it is again. Emailed Muddy Sump wrt to throttle balance and he asked whether I had warmed the bike properly. Balance check picture after fifteen minutes is a lot better (I had only run for about five minutes previously - stupid me) but note that whilst running the image is repeatedly changing from balance to out of balance.

So asking those with much more experience than me whether you would consider these characteristics as normal - feels 'faltery' to me?

Note that links do not appear to be working but will if you paste them into your browser by clicking on the video thumbnail, right clicking and choosing 'Copy video URL'
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 11:41:38 AM by Thripster »

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
I apologise for the mess I made of the forum trying to get the links to work - please delete these posts to tidy up if that helps.

Recent Topics