Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The Dreaded 12k Service - Wheel Balancing  (Read 334 times)

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
The Dreaded 12k Service - Wheel Balancing
« on: October 05, 2020, 03:23:11 PM »
I noticed that the front wheel on my wire spoked 800 XCA was missing balance weights and, so once this is off when I service the bike front-end, I intend to re-balance it.

However, since the back wheel is off at the moment because I am in the process of servicing the bike back-end, I thought I would put this on my wheel balancing/ rebuild jig to check. Surprisingly, the balance is way off. There is 55 g of balance weight on the wheel at the moment and an initial test showed I needed to add ~40 g next to the valve to balance the wheel.

If I take the wheel to the local tyre shop, they will dynamically balance the wheel which must be the best way of doing it. However, that would be a lot of effort and so what I need to work out is whether statically balancing the wheel will be good enough - I believe it should be.

I assume the back wheel was balanced the last time the tyre was changed but it appears that it wasn't balanced very well. What is also strange, especially for a wire spoked wheel, is that the balance weights are not even close to being opposite the valve.

I've got to change the rear sprocket first but I may then pop the old weights off and see what it takes to balance the wheel again :084:

Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
Re: The Dreaded 12k Service - Wheel Balancing
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 04:34:50 PM »
After replacing the rear sprocket, I popped the old balance weights off and then determined where the wheel consistently came to rest on the balancing jig. What was very surprising was that in the rest position, the tyre valve was at 3 o'clock! This would seem to imply that there is a significant degree of imbalance in the wheel other than the tyre valve.

At this stage, all I can do is re-balance the wheel but it remains a bit of a mystery why it was so out of balance to start with. Having said that, I didn't notice any vibration from the back-end and so this has to be kept in perspective.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 04:57:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
... it remains a bit of a mystery why it was so out of balance to start with.

Tyres are not produces perfectly balanced, it is quite likely the tyre that is out of balance. Depending on how old your tyre is (if it had one may be worn off) look for signs of a yellow mark or dot on the sidewall. This indicates the lightest point of the tyre and should be mounted next to the tyre valve then fine tuned with balance weights.  :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 05:36:03 PM »
The tyre does not appear to be very old and is correctly fitted with the yellow dot next to the valve. While the tyre will have an intrinsic imbalance (hence the yellow dot indicator), the fact that the valve ends up at 3 o'clock without balance weights fitted means that the wheel itself is significantly imbalanced which is a bit surprising (if it wasn't then the balance weights would end up opposite the valve).

I'm not so much concerned with the intrinsic imbalance of the wheel but the fact that it was way out of balance when I took the wheel off. Either the wheel balance has changed significantly over time or it wasn't properly balanced when the tyre was last changed. I'm hoping that when I re-balance the wheel, it will stay that way :015:

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »
It could possibly be worse, I have the roadie XRt with standard TPMS fitted and there's enough weights between the 2 wheels to start a gym ... :005:  :008: ... hence I always come straight home and put some black paint on them to at least try to make them a bit more discreet. :017:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch