Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Out with the old, is Autocom finished?  (Read 423 times)

Offline Adey Bee

• Tiger Master
  • Must change that Avatar, new one is white
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
Out with the old, is Autocom finished?
« on: October 09, 2020, 04:09:51 AM »
Hi there peeps
got a few of questions to put to the wonderful forum members out there regarding comms.

1) Does anyone still use Autocom wired comms , SPA & LOGIC?  Our Tiger club recently ditched all our AUTOCOM stuff and bulk bought 10 Cardo Packtalk Bolds, I must say they are a revelation, absolutely amazing sound quality one of my all time best gadget buys in the last 10 years, which leads me to my next question.

2) Is there loads of members out there using Cardo already and are you as impressed as I am?

3) If you are still using Autocom would you be interested in buying a sh*t load of 2nd hand kit?  :152:

Stay safe out there.
Bandit 1250, Tiger 800 XC, Tiger 800 XCA, Tiger 800XRT

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
Re: Out with the old, is Autocom finished?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 05:08:38 AM »
Autocom has become a dinosaur.

2 BIG issues from my perspective;

1.The helmet cables degrade and the internal wires flex and break. And occasionally you forget to disconnect moving away from the bike and they don't like the stress.
2. The parts were ridiculously expensive particularly if you live in OZ. I think last time I inquired it was like nearly 200 ponds to replace one. I got my Sena for less than that.

Really disappointing as the system was very good in the early days and CB radio is consistently stronger that other comms plus everyone just agreed on a channel and job done.
The push to talk was handy all be it more wiring and mounting. It was awkward to answer a mobile call compared to modern day but overall the cables falling apart was disappointing.

Offline JonesTheBass

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800xrt
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 10:50:01 AM »
I have the Cardo Freecom 4+...I don't have as many friends! My third piece of Cardo kit and would recommend it, although tech support is really poor.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 11:32:48 AM »
I have 2 sets of Cardo SHO-1 fitted on our helmets (Shoei Neotec 1 and Shoei NXR) and at about 6yrs old the comms and HD speakers and sound are great. I can only imagine how good the newer Cardo systems with JBL speakers must be. I always have the radio on or if out in the sticks and no signal bluetoothed music from my phone or tablet. I have seen some less favourable reviews on the new Cardo built in system for the Shoei Neotec 2 though. :027:

I would certainly have Cardo again if/when these fail. :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 12:45:37 PM »
My wife and I have Cardo Freecom 4+ in 2 helmets each. 4 units, meaning were always able to carry a fully charged spare when travelling. The JBL speakers are great and the units connect easily either to our phones or now to the My Triumph connectivity module on the Tiger 900. We can listen to the same music or our own and 2 way comms is a breeze, either rider to passenger or bike to bike.

Offline crispey

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 thrux
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 01:52:52 PM »
I have  the pack talk bold, upgraded from the Q3, i find the bluetooth connection to phone and satnav excellent, sound quality is far superior to the Q3 and the fact that I can use Siri to read messages and dial numbers is great. Keeps everything hands free.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 03:55:13 PM »
depends on where and who you ride with
If you ride with the same people all the time then devices like cardio work well
If you ride with different groups then devices like cardio don't work to well
The autocom set up I use is al hardwired, unless soemone else is transmitting on the same frequency  there's no dropout, no lost signal, no anxiety of are you out of range

nothing beats a PMR radio for range. I use a Mitecs PMR tuned to 5 channel/guard tone combinations which covers the main makes of radio (Kenwood, Motorola & forget the third manufacturer)

mebbe it just me but I don't find the idea of rechargeable systems attractive... will it last the day, can I find the right charger/charger cable. is the device ready for use right now. can I recharge it overnight, is it charged up when I want to go riding

Although to be fair I don't ride in many big groups these days. There is no doubt using the greater range of a PMR means you can keep in touch at much greater distances than a bluetooth network, or small output devices like cardo will allow. I have been able to keep in touch with some tail enders who got separated from the group at a range of 5 miles + out in the boonies. the downside is others using the same channel and guard tome can be heard. (thats more of a problem in Snowdonia which is infested with children doing DoE rambles or school day trips.

I prefer a bike powered autocom over a rechargeable headset any day.

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 08:53:57 PM »
Im sure your absolutely right. I really only use mine for me and my wife uses hers for music. We sometimes talk to each other - while riding haha. I did have a G9 previously and it was complete overkill, but it had a range of 1.6km for intercom (admittedly line of sight) and could connect up to 9 headsets. A friend lives to ride in a pack and they all yabber away and Im told it works really well, but thats all too distracting for me. Hey look at that or I need fuel is about as much as we do so good sound for music and clear phone calls is the most important along with the convenience of Bluetooth..

Recent Topics