Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: seat swap  (Read 421 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline petewhit

  • Tiger Cub
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Bike: none
  • Location: isle of wight
seat swap
« on: October 16, 2020, 04:13:09 PM »
be gentle its my 1st post :189: i have seen a very nice xrx with everything i need except the boss has requested heated seat so is it possible to fit one from the xrt or just open my wallet a little more a get the xrt, i know i should tell her too do one but as she pays for the bike also and we both use it for hoildays etc , i will add i tried the 900gt at my local dealer and sorry but the 800 is a far nicer bike to ride imho, :005:

Offline Arianta

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 22
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800
  • Location: Kent
Re: seat swap
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 05:54:11 PM »
I think the seats are all interchangeable, but you need to find out if the bike you want has the electrical connection already or if the dealer can fit it for you. The cost of a heated seat (front or back) is 254 from World of Triumph.
'38 Triumph 250 single, '55 Tiger cub, more BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at. '53 BSA A10, '66 Dunstall Norton 750 Atlas, 40 year break, MT07, R3, 650 Burgman, Bonnie America 865, 700 Deauville, Tiger 800. Phew!

Online Q

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 167
  • Bike: 800 XCA
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: seat swap
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 05:55:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by petewhit [+]
i tried the 900gt at my local dealer and sorry but the 800 is a far nicer bike to ride imho, :005:

you've good good taste mate - compliments  :031:
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3528
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: seat swap
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 05:56:41 PM »
The heated XRt seats are harder and less comfortable than the standard XRx 'comfort seats'. I don't believe the XRx has the neccesary wiring and connectors fitted for a simple seat upgrade. It still isn't a cheap option but possibly stick with the XRx you fancy and upgrade the seats to Sargent seats. These are available with heating fitted to front, rear or both as an optional extra. If you have been following the forum for any length of time you will have seen posts to the benefit of these seats.
I acquired some second hand ones just before lock down and the front one conveniently has heating as I am a heated seat convert since I bought my XRt new and contrary to my initial thoughts on them being pointless. Since I have got back out riding post lock down I have done around 8 x 6-8hr (almost continuous riding) days no problem whereas the standard XRt seats would only go about 4hrs tops (for me) before becoming a pain.

Unfortunately second hand are rare and heated even rarer but against the price of upgrading to an XRt and then finding the standard seats even harder than the XRx, if you have experienced them, the Sargent seats could be your answer .... and even after some years retain good value, though obviously with the end of the line for the 800 the demand and value will likely diminish.

https://www.sargentcycle.co.uk/acatalog/sargent-triumph-tiger-800-800xc-2011-motorcycle-seat.html
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


Offline petewhit

  • Tiger Cub
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Bike: none
  • Location: isle of wight
Re: seat swap
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 07:53:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
The heated XRt seats are harder and less comfortable than the standard XRx 'comfort seats'. I don't believe the XRx has the neccesary wiring and connectors fitted for a simple seat upgrade. It still isn't a cheap option but possibly stick with the XRx you fancy and upgrade the seats to Sargent seats. These are available with heating fitted to front, rear or both as an optional extra. If you have been following the forum for any length of time you will have seen posts to the benefit of these seats.
I acquired some second hand ones just before lock down and the front one conveniently has heating as I am a heated seat convert since I bought my XRt new and contrary to my initial thoughts on them being pointless. Since I have got back out riding post lock down I have done around 8 x 6-8hr (almost continuous riding) days no problem whereas the standard XRt seats would only go about 4hrs tops (for me) before becoming a pain.

Unfortunately second hand are rare and heated even rarer but against the price of upgrading to an XRt and then finding the standard seats even harder than the XRx, if you have experienced them, the Sargent seats could be your answer .... and even after some years retain good value, though obviously with the end of the line for the 800 the demand and value will likely diminish.

https://www.sargentcycle.co.uk/acatalog/sargent-triumph-tiger-800-800xc-2011-motorcycle-seat.html

thats great just what i was looking for, the upgrade will still be cheaper than the extra for a xrt with same miles etc etc and i would only need the heated rear for the boss as i use n airhawk all the time on my bikes,

Offline Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3528
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: seat swap
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 08:55:53 PM »
You wouldn't probably need the Airhawk on the Sargent I'm sure (I haven't needed to try yet, though it would probably fit depending on which model you have ... see link below). Also maybe you didn't realise you can't just buy a rear Sargent seat they are only sold as a pair and even unheated you will probably appreciate the improvement of having the front one. :028:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,27808.msg302884.html#msg302884
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


Offline samsgrandad

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 416
  • Bike: Tiger 800 roadie
  • Location: Somerset
Re: seat swap
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 11:12:53 PM »
One other thing to consider is that the XRT has an uprated alternator to run the extra electrical accessories, namely the heated seats. However if you only need the rear one then the XRX alternator would be man enough to cope.

It should be easy enough to wire in a heated rear seat. Another option for you to consider is to suggest to the boss that you gather a heated jacket, such as a Keis, and controller. They give all round upper body warmth, the jacket has heated chest, back, arms and neck collar.

Offline petewhit

  • Tiger Cub
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Bike: none
  • Location: isle of wight
Re: seat swap
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 11:28:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by samsgrandad [+]
One other thing to consider is that the XRT has an uprated alternator to run the extra electrical accessories, namely the heated seats. However if you only need the rear one then the XRX alternator would be man enough to cope.

It should be easy enough to wire in a heated rear seat. Another option for you to consider is to suggest to the boss that you gather a heated jacket, such as a Keis, and controller. They give all round upper body warmth, the jacket has heated chest, back, arms and neck collar.

i have brought her a heated vest and gloves so the seats are not a deal breaker tbh comfort is more important so if the heated seats are hard she wont like them anyay

Offline felix

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 98
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
  • Location: Harrogate
Re: seat swap
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 08:34:07 AM »
If you would be running all the heated clothing / gloves etc direct from the bike as well as a seat then I would contact triumph and check that the standard xrx altenator is up to it before you take the plunge.
They would not have upgraded the xrt alternator if they didn't have too.....

Offline Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3528
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: seat swap
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 11:30:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by samsgrandad [+]
One other thing to consider is that the XRT has an uprated alternator to run the extra electrical accessories ...

*Originally Posted by felix [+]
They would not have upgraded the xrt alternator if they didn't have too.....

Looks like it depends on what year XRt you are looking at:
When the XRt/XCa were released in 2015 (02/2015 handbook) they had uprated alternators, 42A instead of the standard 34A.

However - in the 08/2017 publication of the Tiger Owners Handbook the specifications no longer have separate entries for the XRt/XCa and states all models XR/XC have the 34A alternator fitted. They possibly realised 34A was more than enough. I have my Fuzeblock main fuse at 15A, though if all was on full it theoretically would exceed this at 18A. I reckon you would both have to have every bit of electrical clothing and heated seats to push the load out to 34A (even allowing for the bikes power). :084:

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


 


Recent Topics