Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Using the bike  (Read 519 times)

Offline Hen99

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xox
Using the bike
« on: October 18, 2020, 06:56:58 PM »
  Its been a strange year, but having put it off for months , I got my 2016 XRX a 12k service and MOT  yup more money than sense , but when you think of the 5-6 k it would cost me to trade up to a 900 not so bad after all,
Now a blast down South to visit my brothers b4 we all go under lockdown again, its mainly all motorway but with 400 miles to do its the only way . Good news , with nobody going to watch sport on Saturdays the M25 is a lot clearer, bad news Smart motorways mean 90mph cruising is a thing of the past .
Report :-
Good bits
Bike went like a dream 75-80 cruising game me almost 200 miles to a tank  :169:
Over 7 hours in the saddle and no aches at all( even with my bad back) :047:
Brakes stopped me fine when some idiot pulled in front  out  even in the damp conditions and I was doing 50-60  :005:
Bad bits
well none really

For anybody wanting a bike to use - it is pretty faultless . Only thing is the cost of servicing , when you think of it , a  modern bike with a low tuned engine , with modern oils should go more than 12k before the head needs taking off

I think because of that  I can only give it 4 stars  longer service intervals say 9/18k  would make it a proper 5star bike

:300:

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: Using the bike
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 08:19:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hen99 [+]
  Its been a strange year, but having put it off for months , I got my 2016 XRX a 12k service and MOT  yup more money than sense , but when you think of the 5-6 k it would cost me to trade up to a 900 not so bad after all,
Now a blast down South to visit my brothers b4 we all go under lockdown again, its mainly all motorway but with 400 miles to do its the only way . Good news , with nobody going to watch sport on Saturdays the M25 is a lot clearer, bad news Smart motorways mean 90mph cruising is a thing of the past .
Report :-
Good bits
Bike went like a dream 75-80 cruising game me almost 200 miles to a tank  :169:
Over 7 hours in the saddle and no aches at all( even with my bad back) :047:
Brakes stopped me fine when some idiot pulled in front  out  even in the damp conditions and I was doing 50-60  :005:
Bad bits
well none really

For anybody wanting a bike to use - it is pretty faultless . Only thing is the cost of servicing , when you think of it , a  modern bike with a low tuned engine , with modern oils should go more than 12k before the head needs taking off

I think because of that  I can only give it 4 stars  longer service intervals say 9/18k  would make it a proper 5star bike

:300:

Agree with you however my previous bike, the Honda Africa twin 2016 had the exact same intervals, for an
even newer engine and at least in my country, Honda services were more expensive than Triumph, what can
you do when you love a bike... you also have to be amazed by the guy here with 150K if I'm correct, at least
the engine is reliable.

Only Kawasaki remains cheap, I have an older Yamaha and their prices also increased, so now I service my
yami myself it makes sense since there's nothing more than ABS.

I read a funny article yesterday, the next Ducati V4 Multistrada will have the valve checks at 60'000Km but
there's a caveat, this engine is no more using the desmo tech, so I find this funny from Ducati.

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: FZ1N, XJR1300
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 09:44:54 PM »
 :084:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:07:38 PM by ENGLISHBANDIT »
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 10:07:00 PM »
@ENGLISHBANDIT

Let's take this from the other side, you might have been lucky also with your bikes, but if a valve would
fail on you, imagine the costs of replacing engine parts... Not a great fan of this "I've been doing this for
X amount of years, nothing ever happened" logic, last BMW riding course I did, I saw riders of 40 years
and more not having learned proper turning techniques, they just drove slow and were lucky.

When designing engines, you need to do stress/deformation studies with the moving parts and heat
expension, the issue is if in the very little chance that one valve gets tight, you'll en up with a F*****
cylinder, cylinder housing, maybe other valves, when the valve will break and fall in the chamber.

Now is this something very likely to happen, I honestly don't know, my oldest mechanic told me that
you should always do the first valve check, around 20K Km, because by then all these moving and
thermal tolerances will be stabilized, then normaly this won't change in his experience, for the whole
lifetime of an engine.
He's a japanese brands mechanic so, hopefully this is also applicable to other brands, but I fully trust
him he's soon to be retired, so very experienced.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:11:45 PM by Djairouks »

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 10:14:44 PM »
Did not see your reply before deleting my post or I would have left it . I thought About my post and then thought, I just can not be bothered with it all. I am happy with what I do and dont care what other people do so thought just pull it as can not be bothered to go back and forth as its all just opinions and really does not matter and I am not on these things that much. But respect your opinion.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 10:20:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by ENGLISHBANDIT [+]
Did not see your reply before deleting my post or I would have left it . I thought About my post and then thought, I just can not be bothered with it all. I am happy with what I do and dont care what other people do so thought just pull it as can not be bothered to go back and forth as its all just opinions and really does not matter and I am not on these things that much. But respect your opinion.

No worries  :028: you know I also don't like to throw money on that, I'm happy my yami has valves
only at 40K, but as my Tiger is my adventure travel bike, I prefer to be safe than sorry.

Still understand people might try to skip the check, we all can choose differently.

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 08:16:20 AM »
I think what a lot of people also do not know is if you are taking the bike to a shop for the work to be done, You can get it done a lot cheaper if you can take it in already stripped.
I told the dealers I was doing this and I knew how long it should take, They did not like that :492: but was just letting them know I was on the ball.
I took my bike into the main dealers in the back of my van so it was cold. All the fairings and bits already taken off so job was ready to start.
It took the shop less than 2 hours to do the job I even waited which really pissed them off. The cost was 160, Now that price I don't mind paying, its the 600 plus which puts people off. But guess I am lucky I have a van.
Most or half of the cost is the time it takes to pull the bike apart and put it back together. I just put the bike back together when I got home and without snapping or braking anything.  :001:
I do not know when my Yamaha bikes should be done to be honest  :005:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 08:20:33 AM by ENGLISHBANDIT »

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 10:07:16 AM »
Re the whole servicing costs I see Ducati's new V4 engined multistrada is sans Desmo and valve intervals are 60,000. Engineering still improving. Physicaly smaller & lighter 1260 as well.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Martymouse

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 01:28:44 PM »
Definitely extra points for the idea of part-stripping the bike before the dealer gets it.
I had a previous workshop who actually suggested it.  They did lots of different brands and getting off the plastics could be difficult and, as suggested, caused an occasional snapped lug.
Now admittedly i don't have a van so had to leave enough on to keep it rideable.
Win-win in my view.
However, i can understand some dealers not liking it; for 70/hour they can have some novice working away at the bodywork instead of a trained mechanic.
Cynical?? Never.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch