Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 800 XCA no longer a happy owner!  (Read 863 times)

Offline OzricTT

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA
800 XCA no longer a happy owner!
« on: October 19, 2020, 06:26:15 PM »
Hi all,

Registering to get help with a bike that's tying my patience.

2018 Tiger 800XCA. Wonderful to ride but nothing but problems from the start.

Heated grips replaced twice.
Kickstand replaced after snapping in a car park.
Aggressive low speed jerk to the left.
Front sprocket repeatedly coming off.
Now my indictor switch won't return to centre and so I'm permanently stuck indicating left.

Hopefully people here can knock some sense into me and remind me how good this bike is when it's running.

I'll post some picture of her when the weather improves

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
Re: 800 XCA no longer a happy owner!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 07:23:25 PM »
 :401:

Good luck with the faults.
2018 Xca.  Suzuki GT380. Yamaha Xmax

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline Adey Bee

• Tiger Master
  • Must change that Avatar, new one is white
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 08:31:45 PM »
 :401: Im shocked with all the problems you've had, especially on a bike so new, non of the problems you list are really common, ive had the sprocket problem on my 2011 XC once but was my own fault for not checking chain tension correctly before  a long distance trip and then loading the bike, was toooo tight. everything you need to know about the best bike in the world is on here. good luck and I hope you get your love back for her.   :028:
Bandit 1250, Tiger 800 XC, Tiger 800 XCA, Tiger 800XRT

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 09:31:47 PM »
As mentioned, none of those are common faults.
Is it possible the bike has been in an accident and the frame is bent? Also, make sure your rear wheel isnt out of alignment and the chain is running true over both sprockets. I presume when you say the front sprocket comes off you mean the chain comes off it? Otherwise it means the retaining nut is missing. You should check its firstly there (???) and secondly correctly tensioned and retained.
Heated grips have somewhat delicate wiring which can fail of the grips arent installed carefully and correctly. Also possible youve been unlucky enough to get 2 dud sets. Fixable though.
Brocken kick stand is rare on these bikes (unlike on the 1200). Be worth making sure the mounting point isnt damaged or bent.
Theres another discussion somewhere on here on the indicator problem.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 10:07:33 PM »
 :435: Very strange.  We've had this forum going since the first Tiger 800 and these faults are extremely rare and/or non-existent on other bikes. Especially in that combination on a 2018 model. Agree, I would question the history, could this bike have been previously damaged or neglected?

Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '18 XRt
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 09:29:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
:435: Very strange.  We've had this forum going since the first Tiger 800 and these faults are extremely rare and/or non-existent on other bikes. Especially in that combination on a 2018 model. Agree, I would question the history, could this bike have been previously damaged or neglected?

:0461:
From '61>present - '57 BSA C12, RE C/Sports, '59 Tiger 110, '61 T120R, '57 BMW R50, '76 GT185, '69 T120, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, '05 Sprint1050 & '08 Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, SprintGT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & '12 Bonne, '15 XRx,'18 XRt

Offline OzricTT

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 11:58:47 AM »
I bought the bike direct from the dealership, the only time it's been on its side is when the stand snapped. That and the first set of heated grips were done under warranty (although they didn't replace the indicator or damages plastics from the tip).

The pull is more like a tick with every rotation. Only really noticeable at slow speeds, but tugs the wheel to the left quite violently, I've had the front off and new pads and disks. Possibly a bearing?

Thanks for the warm welcome anyway, I will post my gripes in more relevant sections.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 04:41:52 PM »
I would recommend putting the bike on its centre stand and weighing the back down so that the front wheel is off the ground. By slowing rotating the front wheel and looking for free play, you should be able to tell whether there is any problem with the wheel bearings.

I would then feel for any free play in the steering head bearings by pushing back and forth against the front wheel spindle. If you then slowly rotate the forks left and right you should be able to detect any rough or notchy movement indicating a problem with the bearings.

I previously owned a BMW F650GS which was notorious in having steering head bearings fail. Mine had this problem when I bought it and it produced some alarming and somewhat dangerous road holding until the bearings were replaced.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 09:32:38 AM »
Also check the tyre has no bulges, the rim is true and the spoke tension.

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 11:42:59 AM »
Could one of the rotors be slightly bent, perhaps from the fall over?

Recent Topics