Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Re: Garmin Zumo LM396LMT - No longer has support  (Read 662 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TC

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 43
  • Bike: 800, 885 & 1200
  • Location: UK
Re: Garmin Zumo LM396LMT - No longer has support
« on: October 20, 2020, 05:46:47 PM »
Admin edit:

Content edited and now removed.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 11:15:17 AM by Admin »

Offline Fazer

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
  • Location: Tyneside, UK
Re: Re: Garmin Zumo LM396LMT - No longer has support
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 05:52:50 PM »
Its not clear exactly what the is the problem with your Zumo but I guess it needs to be repaired and Garmin wont do it. Have you thought about trying to get it repaired by an independent electronics workshop? With most of these things there are enterprising people out there who make a buck by repairing obsolete items and fortunately Google makes it easy to locate them. Good luck.

Offline Dilbert

  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • *
  • Posts: 5344
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: Cheshire, UK
Re: Re: Garmin Zumo LM396LMT - No longer has support
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 07:26:51 PM »
Bit of an odd one this, you don't say what was wrong with it, or what offer they made you ?

I don't think you're doing yourself any favours overstating the age of the unit, they're even more likely to view it as being old second-hand stock.

For reference I've still got a 12 year old Garmin Zumo 550 discontinued years ago, eBay is full of cheap second-hand ones and spares and I still get lifetime map updates.

Regarding the false equivalence with cars, Audi charge 300 for an annual map update and circa 500 to instal GPS software into their display unit, even on a new car !

I bet you paid more than 275 for your smartphone, which wont have the same functionality as a dedicated satnav and you'll still have to pay out for a mount and waterproof box.
Now available in "Batman"

Offline Derchef1962

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1094
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
  • Location: DE-Frankfurt
Re: Re: Garmin Zumo LM396LMT - No longer has support
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 08:20:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Bit of an odd one this, you don't say what was wrong with it, or what offer they made you ?

I don't think you're doing yourself any favours overstating the age of the unit, they're even more likely to view it as being old second-hand stock.

For reference I've still got a 12 year old Garmin Zumo 550 discontinued years ago, eBay is full of cheap second-hand ones and spares and I still get lifetime map updates.

Regarding the false equivalence with cars, Audi charge 300 for an annual map update and circa 500 to instal GPS software into their display unit, even on a new car !

I bet you paid more than 275 for your smartphone, which wont have the same functionality as a dedicated satnav and you'll still have to pay out for a mount and waterproof box.

Couldn't have said it better
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline healdem

  • ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • *
  • Posts: 4563
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
  • Location: Cheshire
Re: Re: Garmin Zumo LM396LMT - No longer has support
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 02:29:46 PM »
We understand your frustration however due to the device being discontinued unfortunately our hands are tied in this situation due to it not being able to be changed like for like, The offer will still be present if you do change your mind please let us know

out of curiosity what was the offer Garmin made?
in the past I've always found Garmin pretty good on looking after customers

On the face of it, it sounds like they were not prepared to do an exchange, but may have been prepared to sell a refurb unit, or a refurb similar model

Offline prenticemarie

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 562
  • Moto2 GP - Hinckley Triples Rule !
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
  • Location: West Sussex UK
Re: Re: Garmin Zumo LM396LMT - No longer has support
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 12:49:48 PM »
If it is the screen that's the problem, or anything else, then I recommend https://satnavrepairservice.com/

They replaced my Zumo 550 screen, which was years out of Garmin production, for a reasonable price.  :031:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 12:51:32 PM by prenticemarie »
My My, How Time Flies ... 61 Years ... From BSA DBD34 Gold Star To Tiger 800 Road ... 1959 - 2020 !

Offline Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3605
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: Re: Garmin Zumo LM396LMT - No longer has support
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 01:23:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by prenticemarie [+]
If it is the screen that's the problem, or anything else, then I recommend https://satnavrepairservice.com/

They replaced my Zumo 550 screen, which was years out of Garmin production, for a reasonable price.  :031:

I've had my car Nuvi 770 since Sept 2010 and still supported map wise (though I had to buy the Lifetime update package back then). Only use it once a year for hols as specifically it came pre-loaded with the USA on (and UK & Ireland). A while back the touch screen started to play up, even after doing the re-calibration numerous times, when you touched a letter another came on screen. I was going to send to satnavrepairs and received a reasonable quote but by the time my postage and their insured return shipping etc. was added it was looking un-economic (around 80'ish) for its age. The problem is they no longer sell a model with the USA included and if you buy the map separate (SD card or download) it doesn't include map updates. As I was pretty certain it was the screen at fault I bought a replacement on Aliexpress last year for 11.97 shipped. Good old Youtube provided a how to and it was simple enough to swop out. Now working as good as new (though no USA this year to use on obviously), so DIY repair may be a cheap option depending on the actual fault and component?
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


Offline Dilbert

  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • *
  • Posts: 5344
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: Cheshire, UK
Re: Re: Garmin Zumo LM396LMT - No longer has support
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 05:36:43 PM »
Stevie P
The only thing wrong with my Zumo 550 is the on/ off button, which is odd as it comes on automatically when you plug it in and it's never been permanently wired in, so doesn't get used much.
I found the rubber side pieces and button via google, but I've already repaired it with a 1cm square piece of black gorilla tape, which works fine and maintains the IP67 integrity  :008:
I bought lifetime maps when it was 30 for an update, or 100 for lifetime maps and I put a slightly bigger SD card in to allow most of Europe to be loaded  :028:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline philmcglass

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 462
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
  • Location: Embruh
Re: Re: Garmin Zumo LM396LMT - No longer has support
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 10:20:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Stevie P
The only thing wrong with my Zumo 550 is the on/ off button, which is odd as it comes on automatically when you plug it in and it's never been permanently wired in, so doesn't get used much.
I found the rubber side pieces and button via google, but I've already repaired it with a 1cm square piece of black gorilla tape, which works fine and maintains the IP67 integrity

Repaired mine with a blob of sugru. Effective.
Find the Line

Offline Admin

  • Administrator
  • Tiger Jedi
  • *
  • Posts: 1004
  • Location: UK
Re: Re: Garmin Zumo LM396LMT - No longer has support
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 11:14:34 AM »
This topic has now been edited and locked for the following reasons:

1. The same identical topic has been posted on multiple forums.

2. The use of CAPITALS and the word WARNING is not warranted as no reason given (title since edited by Admin).

3. No background information provided to back up the claims.

4. Posting third party email content without their permission.

5. No response from the OP since posting.

Forum Rules:

1.09     Do not post the content of letters and emails without the consent of the sender.

1.26     Do not duplicate content that has been posted on another forum or website.

2.13     Defamation: Do not use this site or its services to attack, promote hatred towards or otherwise defame other websites, forums, groups, products, companies, or individuals.

2.23     Shouting: Do not write post titles or content in UPPERCASE letters; writing in this manner can be considered "shouting" and rude.


Note:  Members can criticise a product as long as they justify and backup their claim with some sort of evidence and reason. This post did not do that, it was simply some sort of rant over a grievance the OP had with Garmin.
Need Support ? Post issues in this section: Forum Help / Issues / Problems
Alternatively, pm me about private or commercial issues/questions.

 


Recent Topics