Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Topbox unbalances my 900RP  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Archie750

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: '20 Tiger 900 RP
Topbox unbalances my 900RP
« on: October 21, 2020, 11:49:58 AM »
Hi All,
Just wondered if anyone else has experienced problems with balance when the top box alone is fitted to the Tiger 900 Rally Pro? I didn't really notice a balance problem on my previous 800XCA with just the top box on, but I do with the 900RP. Embarrassingly I managed to drop the bike 45 minutes after picking it up from the dealer, causing 1000 of damage  :012: :232:. I was attempting to climb a kerb while almost parallel to it, and overbalanced. Note to all: the edge of the tank is very exposed to this kind of damage.
I was finding the bike difficult to manhandle at low speeds, and a couple of weeks later had to mount a kerb again to allow an ambulance through in a narrow road and nearly dropped it again! :114:. Now I've taken the top box and mounting plate off the bike it's a lot better, so much so that I took it off-road yesterday for the first time on a mixture of forest tracks, open gravel roads and wet, muddy green lanes, and it was great fun! From now on I'm only going to fit the top box when I have the panniers on, so that the overall center of gravity is lower. Can't fit 'em yet as I'm still waiting for the pannier rails, which are on a delayed back order with Triumph. Once I get the panniers and top box all on together I will report back.
Just wondered if it's only me? 
Tiger 900 Rally Pro & Honda 750FL.
Previous bikes: Tiger 800 XCA, Sprint ST 1050 (red), Sprint ST 1050 (graphite), Honda 750 F1, BSA C15, Lambretta LI 150 :001:

Offline Colinhitch

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
Re: Topbox unbalances my 900RP
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 12:31:01 PM »
Hello, Ive done 9400 miles on my RP and no I havent experienced the problems your having. When I go on Salisbury Plain I do take the top box off to minimise wear and tear, but not because of stability. When touring with all the panniers and a dry bag its been fine. Heartily recommend the Triumph experience centre, great fun and you dont damage your bike!

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 12:50:09 PM »
Its difficult to see how the top box caused your accident. As you say you were almost parallel to the curb Id say this is more likely the cause. I dont have a top box but regularly have the large Triumph tail bag on the back and a smaller seat bag and even when fully loaded havent noticed any instability even at low speed.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 01:02:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Archie750 [+]
.. I was attempting to climb a kerb while almost parallel to it, and overbalanced.

I believe this was your issue, I have once done it myself when the only option was for me to go on the pavement and I embarrisingly dropped it in front of the blocking car driver, not enough angle relative to the kerb and instead of mounting the kerb the tyre runs along the kerb edge and unexpectedly throws you off balance and ...  :232:

I now always ensure that the bike and wheel is at least 45 - 90deg to the kerb before doing it.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Colinhitch

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 01:20:07 PM »
They are correct, the approved technique for crossing a log etc is to approach it at 90 deg, slightly squat and stand up to unload the front just before the obstacle. Any other angle and the rear tyre will slide along the obstacle.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 02:19:14 PM »
Having spent my youth riding push bikes, I'm always conscious of the dangers involved in trying to cross raised curbs however low at a shallow angle and tend to hop the front wheel over them even to this day. This carries over to riding motorbikes for me and therefore my instincts would never allow me to try to ride over a curb except at 90 degrees to it.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline TIger Lad

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT PRO
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 02:26:53 PM »
I don't have the RP but I do have the GT pro complete with a Givi large top box (2 Crash Helmets) Have not experienced any stability problems what's so ever.
No matter how bad your day is your BIKE will always make you feel better.

Offline Jarse

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Rally Pro
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 03:01:06 PM »
Ive had no issue with my 52l Givi box on my Rally Pro.

Mounting a cord while parallel on the other hand is far from advisable.

Offline Archie750

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: '20 Tiger 900 RP
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 12:19:48 PM »
Thanks for all your posts; seems like Im guilty as charged, and should not have attempted to climb the damn kerb at such an acute angle in the first place! :034:
I do still have some reservations about the top box but will give it another go. I very rarely carry pillions but the feeling of instability I get is similar to that, but obviously to a lesser degree.
Thanks to
Code: [Select]
Colinhitch for his comments; I did try to get on the Triumph off-road course this year but Covid stopped that, so now Im booked on the level 1 in June next year, as well as the ABR Festival later the same month, so really looking forward to both of those!
Cheers
Nick
Tiger 900 Rally Pro & Honda 750FL.
Previous bikes: Tiger 800 XCA, Sprint ST 1050 (red), Sprint ST 1050 (graphite), Honda 750 F1, BSA C15, Lambretta LI 150 :001:

Offline Colinhitch

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 12:41:33 PM »
Im sure youll get a lot from the course, I liked them enough to book two of their gravel tours next year. The ABR is a good weekend, the off road circuit is even longer this time so plenty of practice!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch