Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Topbox unbalances my 900RP  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Dazcoates

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
Re: Topbox unbalances my 900RP
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 01:56:17 PM »
The only way I could imagine a bike being unbalanced by the use of a top box would be to have it full of bricks.
No bike I've ever owned has felt any different when fitted with a top box.
Doesnt feal much different when I've got the missus sat on the back either.

Offline Archie750

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: '20 Tiger 900 RP
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 03:27:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dazcoates [+]
The only way I could imagine a bike being unbalanced by the use of a top box would be to have it full of bricks.
No bike I've ever owned has felt any different when fitted with a top box.
Doesnt feal much different when I've got the missus sat on the back either.
Well Dazcoates, seeing has how most top-boxes (mine included) have a weight limit of 5Kg, filling it up with bricks might be a bit extreme  :492:
Actually, I just checked and my Triumph Expedition top-box and mount together weigh 8.5Kg, so in total fully loaded that's 13.5Kg (30lbs) - equivalent to about 6 average house bricks  :015:.
Tiger 900 Rally Pro & Honda 750FL.
Previous bikes: Tiger 800 XCA, Sprint ST 1050 (red), Sprint ST 1050 (graphite), Honda 750 F1, BSA C15, Lambretta LI 150 :001:

Offline Dazcoates

• Tiger Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 03:49:01 PM »
My point exactly,  I could put that weight on after a good meal.

Offline Sixer58

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 Rally
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 08:25:29 AM »
I have my top box on my Rally Pro on all the time, and again am happy to report no balance problems. Dont even notice its on to be honest when riding. Stay safe!!

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2020, 08:42:18 AM »
It's hard to see how the weight of a top box could cause a balance problem but it could cause a centre of pressure problem in side wind conditions. I'd previously ridden a BMW F650GS which was very sensitive to cross winds, even without the top box fitted - in fact, it wasn't nice to ride in a cross wind. In contrast, my 800 XCA is hardly affected by side wind although I've never tried it with a top box fitted. I believe the 900 is higher off the ground and so this might make it less tolerant to side winds with a top box than the 800 :084:
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2020, 05:03:04 PM »
In light of the recent trends in motorcycle engineering toward mass centralization, locating weight quite high and rearward of the rear axle seems a bit contemptuous?
In fact, motorcycle riding guides advise against such -- recommending locating weight low and toward the center of the bike.
Top boxes & weight just might be asking for trouble..?  :187:
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Dazcoates

• Tiger Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »
If that's the case I wonder how many accidents or incidents could actually be attributed to the addition of a top box,  correctly mounted and  loaded on to a motorcycle with the built in capacity to have one fitted direct from the manufacturer .
Admittedly, some bikes might not be suited to having luggage fitted but I dont think that will be the case with any tiger.

This obviously might be a bit dodgy .

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2020, 08:36:49 PM »
How is that worse than carrying a passenger?

Offline Jonjak

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2020, 09:35:09 AM »
OK, so we have all established that a top box loaded correctly will not unbalance a bike.
But are we all missing the point. What we should be concentrating on, is the fact that a minor drop of our pride and joy is resulting in so much damage.
How can this be avoided? There are conflicting stories with crash bars, and at 500 a set, the expense is quite high. Does anyone know if there is some kind of tank pad, perhaps in carbon. I know this option exists for track bikes. If not available, we could possibly approach a manufacturer for a group by? If it is deemed suitable. What do you guys think.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2020, 02:48:11 PM »
Why not buy crash bars for 150 a set instead? For 500 a set, I'd expect them to be gold-plated and delivered by unicorn.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Recent Topics