Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ‘Tiger 850 Sport’ due next year?  (Read 6954 times)

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
Re: ‘Tiger 850 Sport’ due next year?
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 01:14:28 PM »
Have I missed a glaringly obvious point here; aren’t the 800/900 XR/GT variants already filling this requirement?
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Some poems rhyme,
But this one doesn’t.

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 01:23:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by prenticemarie [+]
Let's pray they have reverted to a 120 degree crank !!! Some hope ...  :031:

The only reason that makes any sense at all is that this would be exclusively a road bike. Even so, you can’t begin to appreciate how good the T plane is unless you’ve lived with it for a while. The only criticism I see is from people who have only had a test ride, and/or what appear to be pretty closed minds. I’ve got 6,000km on my Rally Pro, including a fair bit of dirt, and it just gets better. The torque delivery brings a bigger smile to my face every time I ride it and the vibration some have complained about is in reality just the personality that was the only thing missing from the 800.
The T plane is here to stay. Thankfully. Triumph just needs to get its head around the actual right gearing. It’s low enough now but still needs longer legs in 6th. Otherwise, in my opinion, the drive train is perfect.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 01:27:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by GeoffS [+]
Have I missed a glaringly obvious point here; aren’t the 800/900 XR/GT variants already filling this requirement?

:0461:

The Tiger Sport at 1050 clearly sat in between the Tiger (800) and the Explorer (1200). I can't see any logic in this 'proposed' new model as an additional 900. :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 01:31:06 PM »
Attached is an extract showing the data from the EPA filing, with any blank fields removed for clarity.

All models in the list shown in the document are certified with reference to the emissions data for the Tiger 900 Rally Pro (EDV = emissions data vehicle). So, as noted in the media, the bike uses the 900 engine. If they do anything different to the bike's engine it should be re-certifiied.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 02:07:24 PM »

My guess exactly that they will do the 900 engine maybe "normal" 120° crank, 17 inch aluminum wheels,
but why in hell does it make the same HP, if you want a "sports" then it should make more power.
I think this isn't  a very smart move, because it's not powerfull like a ST 765, but then only different looks
and wheels ??? If I had bought a 900 this year I honestly would be pissed off, for people that don't off-road
most don't need a 19" front, so does Triumph want to annoy it's custommers or something, this is so weird.

Just like when in 2014 I got a Yami Mt-09 then 2015 they presented the Tracer, I was pissed off because
then trade in was awfull with a year or commuting.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2020, 05:21:25 PM »
As already mentioned in the article, this looks to be a replacement for the Tiger Sport, 900/ 1050, what's the difference ?

It will be more of a roadster and may even signal the end of the 800-900 XR variants, with 17" wheels for more road friendly tyre sizing.

For EU customers it may be a way of providing an emissions friendly Tiger Sport.

The Tiger Sport was never exported into the US market, again emissions may be key, especially in CA.

It may also be aimed more at the Asian market (physically smaller, lower and lighter than the 1050 Sport).

It may be a lot of things, or of course it could just be US speculation, or Triumph trying to gauge the market(s).
Now available in "Batman"

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 05:27:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
As already mentioned in the article, this looks to be a replacement for the Tiger Sport, 900/ 1050, what's the difference ?

It will be more of a roadster and may even signal the end of the 800-900 XR variants, with 17" wheels for more road friendly tyre sizing.

For EU customers it may be a way of providing an emissions friendly Tiger Sport.

The Tiger Sport was never exported into the US market, again emissions may be key, especially in CA.

It may also be aimed more at the Asian market (physically smaller, lower and lighter than the 1050 Sport).

It may be a lot of things, or of course it could just be US speculation, or Triumph trying to gauge the market(s).

Maybe they are monitoring us right now  :181: :156:

I've also recently heard a journalist, explaining how companies do these things or patents, to be safe and never use them, or fool other manufacturers.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 05:39:12 PM »
They definitely monitor this and other forums, as do most other manufacturers  :017:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline Tripple3

• Tiger Member
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 05:47:49 PM »
People who I have spoken to and have had a test ride have said they would have purchased a 900 Tiger if it were not for the engine vibration and sounding like a twin. I would have thought if you feel the vibration during an hour test ride it will only feel worse on a long ride. Another has said it is a great bike spoilt by the engine so maybe Triumph do listen and are going to give an option of a 120 degree crank engine, something that they are very good at making and up until now a very good selling point.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 05:51:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tripple3 [+]
People who I have spoken to and have had a test ride have said they would have purchased a 900 Tiger if it were not for the engine vibration and sounding like a twin. I would have thought if you feel the vibration during an hour test ride it will only feel worse on a long ride. Another has said it is a great bike spoilt by the engine so maybe Triumph do listen and are going to give an option of a 120 degree crank engine, something that they are very good at making and up until now a very good selling point.

Yep I agree with you, it could be a smart move and more direct competition in form factor, to the tracer 900.
However sticking the "sport" on the name and keeping the same 95hp, is pretty ridiculous in my opinion, no need to go 170hp like Ducati, but a sport under 115hp...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 05:54:29 PM by Djairouks »

Recent Topics