Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ‘Tiger 850 Sport’ due next year?  (Read 7248 times)

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: ‘Tiger 850 Sport’ due next year?
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2020, 09:32:19 AM »
You know might be the case in UK, but I can assure you, in Switzerland and other places I traveled, Italy, France, Spain etc, the age of Triumph buyers is younger.

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2020, 11:47:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Admin [+]
Huh ! I'm calling that out, you need to back that up with some evidence.   :001:

I said buyers, not owners. Triumph is attracting new buyers to the brand with bikes like the Street Triple, Street Twin, Bobber and they are tending to be younger. I think it’s pretty self evident.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2020, 12:04:38 PM »
I can't say about the riders ages but last month on my travels around the Lake District, North Pennines, Yorkshire Dales, Kielder Forrest I reckon 50% of all the other bikes I saw were Triumphs :028: , though barely any Tigers, the bulk being from the Classic range and plenty riding two-up. :002:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Neogas

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2020, 10:16:31 PM »
I get the feeling that Bonneville and it’s derivatives are the hipster bike of choice.
Which is what brings down the age of ownership. As someone who will complete half a century next year the hipster beard does bring plenty of seasonal work in December
"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly."
― Anonymous

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2020, 01:15:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Neogas [+]
I get the feeling that Bonneville and it’s derivatives are the hipster bike of choice.
Which is what brings down the age of ownership. As someone who will complete half a century next year the hipster beard does bring plenty of seasonal work in December

Yep, that too. Triumph’s overt support for the DGR shows that they recognise this.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2020, 08:06:18 AM »
We could do with a good influx of younger folk to support the Triumph rallies, they've been getting less & less each year. Maybe the young'ns aren't into the camping side of it.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2020, 08:17:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
We could do with a good influx of younger folk to support the Triumph rallies, they've been getting less & less each year. Maybe the young'ns aren't into the camping side of it.

Most hipsters by definition are about looking like something, nowadays younger people are all on Instagram and it's mostly about looks, I'm no hipster and when I started going on adventures (was 32), camping etc, it's even people who asked why I didn't post that, on Instagram or Facebook...
It's not really a way of life for most anymore, never met some that do camp or go on adventures, the hipsters like comfort from what I've seen.

To me then only other brand that also captures the hipsters crowd, are BMW with the nine T, because the XSR from Yamaha are not so much retro looking, some buy them, bit I see far more Bonnies and nine TS.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 08:19:05 AM by Djairouks »

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2020, 02:42:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
I almost sure we will not see a change in the 900cc engine regarding the T plane crank unless it fails completely in the market which I currently do not see. They will use this engine in different frames and with different wheels but the engine is to stay at least mid-term. I remember talking to mechanice outside the Hinckley factory and he said, that Triumph is "a small bug in the industry compared to BMW and the Japanese". He did not mention HD by the way.....

Therefore, he said Triumph is concentrating on what they are good at and make the maximum out of it. So they stopped doing the Daytona, stoppend doing touring bikes like the Sprint, the Commander had to go etc. It's naked bikes, the classic retros, adventure bikes (with the Rocket being an exception). Bearing that in mind it's simply too expensive to have a diferent engine just for one bike.

Do not get me wrong I love the smooth Tiger 800 which is an almost perfect concept for me. On the other hand the test ride I had on the GT pro was super and if my beloved Tiger 800 dies tomorrow I'd at the dealer the next day to buy a GT Pro.

There doesn't seem much point in this model unless it has something to distinguish it from the 900 GT range, and as the T-plane crank was targetting the off-road market, it would make sense to have a 120 degree crank (like they have in their 765 engines powering Moto2 bikes, and all the Speed and Street Triple bikes). It's not as if they have to produce an entire new engine, just a crank and camshaft. And I can't help but think that Triumph keep an eye on forums and social media, and would have noticed that some potential buyers are put off by the vibration.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2020, 03:15:02 PM »
I'm a 64 year old hipster with a Bonneville lol.

I also have an '18 plate 800XR. I would be interested in a 900GT or this new 850 model, depending on the grief that my wrists and elbows would have to suffer. I haven't ridden a 900 yet, but will now wait until I can ride them back to back before making any decisions.

(Which also includes sticking with the 800).................

Offline blacktiger

• Tiger Jedi
  • Tiger800XC owner since June 6th 2011
  • Bike: Tiger800XC
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2020, 07:48:52 AM »
An 850 Tiger Sport? I don't see it. Doesn't make sense to me since the article says it's the same engine as the 900. What is needed is a significant update to the 1050 Tiger with a bigger, full fat engine with modern electronics to compete with the likes of the XR1000 and Mutley both of which have significant power advantage over anything Triumph currently produces.
Black '13 Tiger800XC. The other British Land Rover. 31000 miles and counting.
Previous Tigers were 2002 955i & 2011 800XC

Recent Topics