Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Shimmy, Shimmy  (Read 453 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Arianta

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 27
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800
  • Location: Kent
Shimmy, Shimmy
« on: October 23, 2020, 10:10:25 AM »
I've just checked the valve clearances on the 800. I found it quite difficult. The specs are, as you know, Inlet 0.1mm to 0.2mm and exhaust 0.325mm to 0.375mm.

My measurements are - Cylinder 1 inlet 0.16 and 0.15. Cylinder 2 inlet 0.15 and 0.16. Cylinder 3 inlet 0.18 and 0.19. All in tolerance, but No3 is near top.
Cylinder 1 exhaust 0.30 and 0.28. Cylinder 2 exhaust 0.23 and 0.28. Cylinder 3 exhaust 0.23 and 0.23. All below tolerance.

Question - are the exhaust tolerances low enough that it indicates re-seating/grinding in is required? I hope not because I would rather not have to drop the lump and remove the head although I will if necessary.

Question 2 - Are shims only available from a dealer?
'38 Triumph 250 single, '55 Tiger cub, more BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at. '53 BSA A10, '66 Dunstall Norton 750 Atlas, 40 year break, MT07, R3, 650 Burgman, Bonnie America 865, 700 Deauville, Tiger 800. Phew!

Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2023
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: Shimmy, Shimmy
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 11:49:20 AM »
They haven't closed up too badly, should be fine, just need 6 new shims max, some might swap, not worth shopping about for them.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline philmcglass

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 464
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
  • Location: Embruh
Re: Shimmy, Shimmy
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 01:01:10 PM »
You can use this to work out what shims you need.
Need to measure the shims in the engine and then work out the sizes needed to replace them.

http://www.agbuzz.com.au/valve/valve_intro.htm
Find the Line

Offline awjdthumper

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
  • Location: Abingdon
Re: Shimmy, Shimmy
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 01:42:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Arianta [+]
I've just checked the valve clearances on the 800. I found it quite difficult. The specs are, as you know, Inlet 0.1mm to 0.2mm and exhaust 0.325mm to 0.375mm.

My measurements are - Cylinder 1 inlet 0.16 and 0.15. Cylinder 2 inlet 0.15 and 0.16. Cylinder 3 inlet 0.18 and 0.19. All in tolerance, but No3 is near top.
Cylinder 1 exhaust 0.30 and 0.28. Cylinder 2 exhaust 0.23 and 0.28. Cylinder 3 exhaust 0.23 and 0.23. All below tolerance.

Question - are the exhaust tolerances low enough that it indicates re-seating/grinding in is required? I hope not because I would rather not have to drop the lump and remove the head although I will if necessary.

Question 2 - Are shims only available from a dealer?
You clearances are not too dissimilar to those found in my recent 12k service. Measuring the exhaust clearances accurately is very difficult given the limited access and I re-measured mine many times before I was satisfied with the result. What I found was that I needed to be especially careful when comparing the measurements for Cyl 1 with those of Cyl 2 & 3 because the former can be measured much more easily from behind the cams rather than blindly in front of the cams for the other two cylinders. In the end, I decided that all the exhaust clearances were basically similar and therefore reduced all 6 x shims by 0.1 mm aiming to put the clearances at the top of the spec range. In fact, I would have been happy to reduce the shims by 0.15 mm knowing that the clearances would have reduced to 0.325 - 0.375 after a few thousand miles.

However, all this needs to be kept in perspective since a change in clearances of 0.1 mm does not represent much wear on the valve seats!
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Rtwo

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4528
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
  • Location: Co. Durham
Re: Shimmy, Shimmy
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 02:45:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
... In fact, I would have been happy to reduce the shims by 0.15 mm knowing that the clearances would have reduced to 0.325 - 0.375 after a few thousand miles.


They don't tend to wear much after the initial 12K service IME, mine went from 12 to 45K without any noticeable wear
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline AvgBear

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2977
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
  • Location: Missouri USA
Re: Shimmy, Shimmy
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 03:10:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Arianta [+]
Question - are the exhaust tolerances low enough that it indicates re-seating/grinding in is required?
A cylinder compression test will be the determinant.
 
*Originally Posted by Arianta [+]
I hope not because I would rather not have to drop the lump and remove the head although I will if necessary.
If willing, many engines benefit nicely from expert valve face & valve seat head-work.
It's also much easier to adjust the clearance shims with the cylinder head on the workbench.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Arianta

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 27
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800
  • Location: Kent
Re: Shimmy, Shimmy
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 03:29:59 PM »
My bike is just short of 24k so I'm in a bit of a quandry as to whether to rip the head off or trust in Triumph engineering. :114: :001:
'38 Triumph 250 single, '55 Tiger cub, more BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at. '53 BSA A10, '66 Dunstall Norton 750 Atlas, 40 year break, MT07, R3, 650 Burgman, Bonnie America 865, 700 Deauville, Tiger 800. Phew!

Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2023
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: Shimmy, Shimmy
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 03:58:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Arianta [+]
My bike is just short of 24k so I'm in a bit of a quandry as to whether to rip the head off or trust in Triumph engineering. :114: :001:

It will be fine, I've found them a lot tighter than that, almost zilch, so they'd never been done when paid for at dealers.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch