Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2016 Tiger 800 Will Not Fire  (Read 2094 times)

Offline jlarysz

• Tiger Member
  • Tiger Rider NY
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
2016 Tiger 800 Will Not Fire
« on: October 23, 2020, 08:19:31 PM »
My 2016 Tiger 800XR cranks easily, but there no sign of ignition; it drove into my garage 2 weeks ago just fine, and now it doesn't want to leave. Posts on the forum tell me to clean the stepper motor.  Where is this stepper motor, and how much bike do I have to dismantle to find it? Can someone who has done this give some instructions?

Other posts tell me to open the throttle a little while trying to start. When I do that the bike won't crank at all.
John L

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: 2016 Tiger 800 Will Not Fire
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 08:49:05 PM »
The stepper motor issue is normally a 'gen 1' bike issue, cable throttle setup ... pre-2015. The 'gen 2 &3' bikes post 2015 are fly-by-wire throttle and not an exposed stepper motor as 'gen 1' and not aware of owners having issues with later bikes.

So the bike will crank with shut throttle but won't crank if you open the throttle a little .... strange, sounds to me like a possible sensor fault?

Have you checked for fault codes? If you haven't a lead and Tigertool setup you could try this:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,14967.0.html
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 10:00:34 PM »
Basics first...
1) spark at the spark plugs?
2) fuel in the piston, and no water in the fuel?

keep your troubleshooting simple first.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 10:10:01 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline jlarysz

• Tiger Member
  • Tiger Rider NY
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 02:08:37 AM »
I'll check for error codes tomorrow. As for a spark, the plugs seem to be buried deep in the bike; I'll have to start dismantling things to get down to them. Is there a quick way to do this?
John L

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 11:17:09 AM »
If my bike I would do some easy basics first before getting involved in stripping the bike down for spark plugs etc.

As previous, check if any codes stored.

Battery:
Do you have a multimeter .... check battery voltage and leads are secure (my 2015 needed a new battery almost a year ago)
... disconnect it, so like a full reboot of the electronickery stuff
... and fully charge it before reconnecting
... while battery disconnected remove and check general state of the starter solenoid located below the battery and the 30A fuse fitted in it
... refit & reconnect battery and then check again for the starting fault.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 02:29:31 PM »
 Other basics
Isolation switch on handlebar
Headlight fuse its a gift from elfnsafety that the headlights must be working to start the bike

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 03:38:34 PM »
Can you hear the pump priming when you switch on ignition?

Try start with side stand up.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline jocktiger

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 03:41:34 PM »
Hi all the not starting thing been a nightmare for me for past 2 weeks on my 18 plat 800 xcx, finally sorted it on my bike, sprayed the throttle, cruise control and mostly the kill switch and the push start with wd40, in all the orifices i could find on the right, dried off excess and left for 24hrs, and bobs your uncle been fine since, so dont know if when I washed the bike last time got that area to wet or its just as I live in the wettest place on the plant, west Scotland rains here all year and when it not wet its damp/moist air. I also dont use the kill switch at all to scared to after reading on here, so use the key each time.
I have bought AFC50 now and going to spray the full electric with it when I get a dry day, hope this helps some of you, may work in the hot countries as well, Happy biking.

Offline jlarysz

• Tiger Member
  • Tiger Rider NY
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 05:51:24 PM »
I've checked for error codes - there are none. The head light comes on with the ignition and there's whine from the fuel pump. I thought the fuel gauge might be mis-reading so I filled up with fresh hi-test and tried again this morning. There was a faint sign of life - the bike fires weakly but chokes off immediately (it coughs when the starter motor spins), so I suspect a fuel problem. Has anyone had choke problems with this bike? Is there an error code for a failing choke?

I apologize for the slow communication - I live in NY, several times zones away from most of you.
John L

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 06:46:14 PM »
Have you tried it with sidestand up? I suggested this from a past experience but it may not be that.

Did the bike get a good washing before it was stored?
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch