Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OEM chain  (Read 2406 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline awjdthumper

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
  • Location: Abingdon
Re: OEM chain
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2020, 06:15:28 PM »
I'd be interested to know how the DRC actually works. For example, if the test gives you a value of '1' on the nib, how does that relate to a spec of 1.4 mm stretch max over 20 links?
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Rtwo

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4528
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
  • Location: Co. Durham
Re: OEM chain
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 06:43:41 PM »
The '1' refers to 1% elongation of the chain
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline awjdthumper

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
  • Location: Abingdon
Re: OEM chain
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2020, 07:34:44 PM »
My brain may be a little addled at the moment having just listened to Boris trying (unsuccessfully) to explain why another national lockdown is necessary, but for my bike, 124 links corresponds to a chain length of 1969 mm (1.69 m). 1% of that is 19.69 mm and so the wear limit of 1.4 mm would correspond to 0.07 on the gauge? Or am I looking at this completely the wrong way :084:
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline characticus

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
  • Bike: 2018 XRx
  • Location: Scotland
Re: OEM chain
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2020, 09:57:54 PM »
I think you are looking at wrongly...

Wear limit of 1.4mm applies to measured length of 20 chain links, which for 525 chain is 20 x 15.88mm, i.e. 317.6mm. Wear limit would be when 20 links measure 319mm or 0.4%.

Offline awjdthumper

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
  • Location: Abingdon
Re: OEM chain
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2020, 09:13:57 AM »
I agree - I did the calculation wrongly in a disturbed state of mind :112: The gauge looks like a useful bit of kit if I can find someone in the UK that sells it?

Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline dasf

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 40
  • Bike: 800 XCA 2017
  • Location: Sweden
Re: OEM chain
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2020, 03:00:43 PM »
Just bought the DRC Chain Checker and tested it. My chain has near zero wear.

The documentation from D.I.D say "measure 20 links and compare with the 317.6 mm for a new chain. The wear limit is 1.4 mm" That is 0,44%.

According to DRC documentation, you should replace the chain and sprocket when the extension is 1%. That gives a wear limit of 3,17 mm over 20 links

Can you trust the DRC Chain Checker??
Past bikes from 1965: Husqvarna Silverpilen 175 cc, Honda 305 Super Hawk, Triumph Bonneville 650, BSA Spitfire 650, Norton 650 SS, Velocette Truxton, Honda 450 Black Bomber, Honda Transalp, Honda Africa Twin, BMW R100RT, BMW R1200 GS, Honda Varadero, Yamaha TDM900, Triumph 800 XCA

Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2023
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: OEM chain
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2020, 03:43:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by dasf [+]
The documentation from D.I.D say "measure 20 links and compare with the 317.6 mm for a new chain. The wear limit is 1.4 mm" That is 0,44%.

According to DRC documentation, you should replace the chain and sprocket when the extension is 1%. That gives a wear limit of 3,17 mm over 20 links

Can you trust the DRC Chain Checker??

Back in the day on the old Brit's, IIRC They used to quote 1/8" over 20 links was replacement time. eg new 12.5" so at 12.625 twer goosed. Good & proper goosed anorl.

Looks like that tool you bought harks back to the 1960's or earlier.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline awjdthumper

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
  • Location: Abingdon
Re: OEM chain
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2020, 03:46:37 PM »
I'm sure the DRC chain checker is accurate - the alternative is to do what I did and use a vernier caliper noting that the 525 chain pitch is 15.88 mm.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2023
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: OEM chain
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2020, 03:51:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
I'm sure the DRC chain checker is accurate - the alternative is to do what I did and use a vernier caliper noting that the 525 chain pitch is 15.88 mm.

A 525 chain pitch is 5/8". Chains are made in imperial sizes.

For the modern world they have converted to metric, so 317.5mm. Triumph used to say 320mm was replacement time. Now reduced to 319mm, they must have had some failures.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 04:02:06 PM by Paulhere »
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Rtwo

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4528
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
  • Location: Co. Durham
Re: OEM chain
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2020, 04:07:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by dasf [+]
Just bought the DRC Chain Checker and tested it. My chain has near zero wear.

The documentation from D.I.D say "measure 20 links and compare with the 317.6 mm for a new chain. The wear limit is 1.4 mm" That is 0,44%.

According to DRC documentation, you should replace the chain and sprocket when the extension is 1%. That gives a wear limit of 3,17 mm over 20 links

Can you trust the DRC Chain Checker??

DID also quote 1% for O ring chains, as do Renthal
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch