Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Kies heated jacket  (Read 757 times)

Offline Pockets

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
Kies heated jacket
« on: October 25, 2020, 11:26:19 PM »
Hi,Looking to purchase a Kies heated jacket and was wondering if it could be plugged into the auxiliary socket on the left side of my XRX. Im led to believe the jacket can draw up to 5.5amps on full power, would the output socket be able to cope with this? There is a warning for BMW owners not to use the auxiliary socket on there bikes as they are only capable of 5amps, would this apply to me?
Regards
Paul

Offline Johnjo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 xrt
Re: Kies heated jacket
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 08:51:34 AM »
I've used the auxiliary socket for heated jacket and gloves on many different triumph models. Never had an issue.
Carry on you'll be fine.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 09:37:44 AM »
Just check in the manual which fuse is on this particular socket, that will be your limit !

Offline samsgrandad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 roadie
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »
I have used the auxiliary socket next to the ignition switch for a Keis jacket without problem. If you have the controller you will rarely, if ever, have the jacket on full power as it is just too hot.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 02:13:55 PM »
A quick look seems to show all 3 x accessory sockets are fed from Fuse 5 which is rated at 15 A which equates to 180 W. It would be interesting to know what the generator capacity is for delivering this electrical power :084:
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 02:31:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
It would be interesting to know what the generator capacity is for delivering this electrical power :084:

Depends on what year XCa you are looking at and exact Vin # change point:
When the XRt/XCa were released in 2015 (02/2015 handbook) they had uprated alternators, 42A instead of the standard 34A.

However - in the 08/2017 publication of the Tiger Owners Handbook the specifications no longer have separate entries for the XRt/XCa and states all models XR/XC have the 34A alternator fitted. They possibly realised 34A was more than enough.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 02:51:14 PM »
It would also be interesting to know what the bike's power consumption is as a function of electrical devices switched on (main beam, fog light, heated grips, heated seats etc) to see how much generator output might be left for the accessories, worst case?
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline blacktiger

• Tiger Jedi
  • Tiger800XC owner since June 6th 2011
  • Bike: Tiger800XC
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 05:36:29 PM »
I always thought that was what the accessory socket was for. I've plugged mine into it on my Tiger955i and the 800 without problems. I run the cable up to the front of the seat where I position the heat controller and then the cable runs backwards into my jacket.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:38:18 PM by blacktiger »
Black '13 Tiger800XC. The other British Land Rover. 31000 miles and counting.
Previous Tigers were 2002 955i & 2011 800XC

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 01:23:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
...worst case?
Depends on load (electricity to operate the bike + accessories) versus supply (alternator output). Therein lies the rub.
Alternator output varies with engine RPM -- if you ride around alot in places where the engine isn't turning mid-range revs and you're using alot of electricity, you might be going in a negative direction?
Items that make heat from electrical energy use a lot of it: heated vests, etc. (as well as high-wattage incandescent light bulbs).
Long distance riders (Iron Butt), who often have lots of electrical accessories, have learned to husband their electrical power by adding a voltmeter to monitor battery voltage. When it (B+) starts to decrease they begin shutting off less necessary accessories.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Pockets

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 05:41:27 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, in the end I just connected it direct to the battery, messed about quite a bit finding the best  place to bring the power cable out and up to the controller but in the end I ran it to the  center of the seat. But has usual not had chance to try it out yet, knowing my luck it will be the mildest winter on record. 

Recent Topics

winded-staunch