Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: SW Motech rear rack fitment issues? ['12 Tiger 800 ABS]  (Read 304 times)

Offline sashae

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: '12 800 ABS
SW Motech rear rack fitment issues? ['12 Tiger 800 ABS]
« on: October 26, 2020, 12:50:39 PM »
Hey all,

I've been running the Triumph soft bag clipped to the grab handles on my bike sitting on the plastic plate for some time, and decidedly have a habit of overloading it when heading to the market and such.  Decided to play it safe and pick up a SW Motech hydroformed top plate to reinforce the area (and eventually move to a solid top box.)

In attempting to fit the plate yesterday, I was able to get the "ears" mounted into the original plastic plate locations that bolt into the grab handles, but the holes in the top plate don't properly line up with the 'ears'.   In looking at the bike from the rear, it appears that the ears are somewhat uneven -- one being higher than the other.  I'm the second owner of my bike and have no knowledge of the bike being crashed or dropped, but is there a possibility of the grab handles being shunted slightly off that could be causing this problem?  Given the nature of the manufacturing of the SW Motech plate, I'm assuming that they didn't build it wrong and it /should/ line up.    As it stands, the holes are off-center by about 1-2mm, so not a huge amount.  Not sure if I should try drilling out the plate (to ovalize the holes to give more room to fettle it into mounting) or try another plate...

Offline blacktiger

• Tiger Jedi
  • Tiger800XC owner since June 6th 2011
  • Bike: Tiger800XC
Re: SW Motech rear rack fitment issues? ['12 Tiger 800 ABS]
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 07:34:32 AM »
Photos would help us see where you're struggling.
Black '13 Tiger800XC. The other British Land Rover. 31000 miles and counting.
Previous Tigers were 2002 955i & 2011 800XC

Offline sashae

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: '12 800 ABS
Re: SW Motech rear rack fitment issues? ['12 Tiger 800 ABS]
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 01:14:54 PM »
Rack ears from top view:

Rack ears from rear -- it appears to me that the right side (exhaust side) ear isn't level with the plastic cover, which suggests that the grab handle mount is slightly bent inwards?

Rack plate showing misalignment of mounting hole at bottom left:

Rack plate showing misalignment of mounting hole, closeup -- off by 1-2mm:

Offline blacktiger

• Tiger Jedi
  • Tiger800XC owner since June 6th 2011
  • Bike: Tiger800XC
Black '13 Tiger800XC. The other British Land Rover. 31000 miles and counting.
Previous Tigers were 2002 955i & 2011 800XC

Recent Topics

winded-staunch